ingrown toenails?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by caucasion, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caucasion

caucasion New Member

anyone know how long on average they last once you're on medicine? i have a real nasty one and he said to take a few days off, but im planning to start running to cut down on some fat and i have a feeling this is going to hold me back. any ideas?

2. cheltron

cheltron Active Member

on medicine to get rid of an ingrown toenail?

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

In grown toe nails usually require surgery do they not?

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i had part of my toe nails pernamently removed due to repeated probs, they just sort of dig it out on the ends so the nail doesn't go all the way to the sides anymore, it sucked but i haven't had any probs since,,,,i assume the meds you are taking are for infectin from the ingrown nail,,,,,you can't correct an ingrown by taking a pill that's for damn sure

5. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

Those Antibiotics will take away the infection, but the ingrown nail will still be there. Just get the ingrown part removed, it'll save you some grief.

6. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

and make sure you tell them to kill the root.

i had reoccuring ingrown toenails for 2 and a half years and it was removed by a doctor 4 times. Do it right the first time, so you don't have to keep going back.

7. GilezCorey

GilezCorey New Member

i had surgery on both big toes for ingrown toenails; it hurt like shit to do anything involving running before i had them fixed

8. V!

V! New Member

Why not just get on the bike?

9. trom

trom New Member

I got one from wearing super tight hockey skates for a season. Hurt like a bitch. I had to get surgery for it. They give you a shot in the knuckle to numb it, then dig it out. They also killed the toenail "growth matrix" so now my toenail doesn't grow on one side.. No problems since.

10. caucasion

caucasion New Member

apparently the way the place i went to does it, you have to go on antibiotics to kill the infection, he's hoping it grows out itself because i got most of the nail out myself (which was my first mistake) but the son of a bitch just hurts. as for the bike, thats not a bad idea, but im going running tonight to see if it bugs me. i bought some wrap to fix it up. being 191 at 5'10", i feel as if i need to cut down a bit for any real definintion
    who knows

11. FlameBox

FlameBox ΊΧΘΥΣ

I had to have one cut out and then they killed 1/2 the nail with a chemical so it wouldn't come back..
    It was totally worth having done because its never been back.

12. Merit83

Merit83 Your mama was a snowblower!

i have one right now, i wait til it gets bad, put a stick in my teeth, bite down and start cutting. im too lazy to make a doctor's appt.

13. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I have like superhuman toenails. I've had 6 of them on both sides of both big toes. They have tried killing them at the root at least a few times. But now on my right big toe I have 3 separate nails its pretty gross. One like main large nail which you see, then 2 fucked up smaller nails. One grows perpendicular to the big one and one grows almost under the big one. :hsugh:

14. miamiheat13

miamiheat13 New Member

Had my roots killed on both sides of both big toes... very worth it.

15. posit

posit New Member

I had problems with the nails on my big toes for like 6 years. Sometimes I yanked it out myself, sometimes I went to the Dr. Finally they put acid on the roots and no problems. In Maine it cost like 175 a toe if you don't have insurance. Its worth it to never have to worry about the problem again.

16. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

there are 2 ways to fix em, 1 is like everyone said, they cut the root. the other is by using a laser to kill the root. same result, but faster surgery, and a different type of pain after, not to mention the smell of laser fried skin in the room. :ugh:
    the shot in the toe knuckle is cool.. its like novacain for your feet,, feel no pain and get to watch the whole thing.

the meds are only to help with the infection. the problem is, its your foot. cant stop walking, so the infection takes forever, or never heals, till you get the root cut. ive had all 4 corners done, i now i have bionic toes :big grin:

17. caucasion

caucasion New Member

its weird, i think its actually fixing itself because the pains going away, and its looking better. maybe i picked at it enough for it to grow out the right way?

18. habitat

habitat Splatinum Member

I had an ingrown toenail on my right big toe 3 times... hurt like a bitch, the surgury isnt much fun but it's in and out and not having the pain is worth it.

if it comes back again i'll kill the root, but it's been a good year with no probs (knock on wood)

19. Merit83

anyone wanna see a pic of mine? it's very nasty

20. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

i think i got one. show me what one looks like :hs:. mine is just a small bump on the side that FUCKING HURTS LIKE A BITCH.

21. JonDaAzn

JonDaAzn New Member

If your doctor tells you to take antibiotics and wait for it to grow out, just ask to see a podiatrist, my doctor told me that and my toe ended up swelling up so bad it would barely fit in my shoes, podiatrist said I should of have come in the beginning and just cut that sucker out, no more problems

22. Merit83

that's pretty much what it is. mine looks way worse, always bloody and dead skin since im always trying to cut it out.

23. Under_Fire

Under_Fire Duck and Run

would soaking it in salt water help? cuz the nail is grown out all the way, just cant get rid of that bump, and its swollen.

24. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

epsom salt helps the swelling, which in turn will help the infection, but it will continue to be a prob :/

25. caucasion

caucasion New Member

i did epsom salt several times, stayed off my foot asm uch as i could and wore sandles and it healed up fine. everyones different though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.