inform me on dodge rams pls

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by aznxplayer, May 19, 2006.

1. aznxplayer

aznxplayer dying in a fire

so im pretty set on buying a 98+ dodge ram 2500 cummins turbo diesel truck, for my daily driver cause i dont wanna drive the sr20 everyday so whats the difference between years on the 2500? any years to stay away from?

thanks!

2. Justin Niggalake

Justin Niggalake New Member

i heard they break at 30K miles

3. aznxplayer

:eek3: waaat? really? i heard they are the best diesels evar.

4. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

very informative, would read again :ugh:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The Cummins 24valve is an excellent diesel motor. Unfortunatly, the rest of the trucks arn't built very well. Automatic transmission failures are the most common problem.

6. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

I rented a Doge pickup, 1500 i think with the then newer hemi V8. after just a little abuse off road the trucks front wheel alignment was all off, the fenders and hood were also out of alignment. The bangs and bumps that hurt the Dodge didnt have any noticable affect on Ford and Chevy truck and SUV rentals I had previously rented and put through the same terrain. After a full visual inspection of the the trucks frame and suspention parts I wasnt surprised why it got messed up so easily and have stayed away from newer dogde trucks. I kinda doubt the 1500 weakness would have a bearing on a 2500 but thats my 2cents on Dodge pickups.

edit: heres that rental i was referring to, not sure of the year, was probably an 02' or 03'

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The 1500 uses IFS, as opposed to the coil-spring solid front axel of the 2500... Very different.

8. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

My whole problem with it was Why make a relatively weak full size pickup in the first place. There's no denieing a SFA is much stronger.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

stronger? usually. But IFS has it's place. For 95% of 1/2 truck buyers, the IFS provides a smoother ride and better handeling characteristics. I don't think the dodge should have gotten out of alignment -- something was wrong there. However, I know from experience that Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, and Ford know what they're doing when it comes to IFS, and you don't hear many complaints about their strength -- Chevy even uses it on its 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

10. hvy55chvy

hvy55chvy OT Supporter

I hear yah. Although, I wasnt knocking all full sized trucks with IFS. Im a fan of GMs late model IFS setup. Ive beat the living daylights out of the IFS in my previous truck.

I know its far from scientific, but i think my comparison was pretty even. All the truck were basicaly new, under 1K miles, and all had the basic 1/2 ton front IFS. I took the trucks on the same path through a 4x4 playground and basicaly abused the hell out of them. The dodge didnt make it past one big bump before i felt something was wrong.

11. cdemdec26

cdemdec26 Destroy Erase Improve

I have a 2002 2500 with the diesel, it's my daily driver and weekend toy hauler. I tow 6-7000 lbs over 9% grades regularly at 70-75 mph and the truck does not break a sweat. I have an Edge Juice/Attitude programer, 4" straight exhaust and a cold-air intake. It will walk all over ricer's and cookie cutter mustangs at a light.

There were problems with the low pressure fuel pump dying and causing the high pressure VP44 pump to fail. The VP44 will still draw fuel if the low pressure pump fails but only for so long. There are aftermarket upgrades availible. Yeah the auto trannys can break if you mod them but stock they will last a long time.

Overall awesome truck for the money. Will go 300,000+ miles, and you can mod them to well over 1000 ft-lb/400HP for not as much as you think, and still be very reliable. Drive it to the track at 22 mpg then run low 12s all day and drive it to work the next morning

I wouldnt drive a Powerjoke Or Duralaxitive if you gave me one for free

12. aznxplayer

good info guys thx! :)
    really leaning toward getting one at the end of the summer.

13. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I had an 02 cummins (old body style) H.O. 6 Speed.

Bar none the best truck I have ever owned. I liked it even more than my Lightning. Never had one single problem with it. I have owned chevy, ford, and dodge, and dodge really knows what they are doing.

Only reason why I dont have it anymore is cause a drunk worthless indian piece of shit crossed the center stripe on a 2 lane road and hit me head on at highway speeds. That dodge saved my life.

Go buy that dodge man, you wont regret it. I promise

14. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Too bad.

15. ifoundastick

ifoundastick New Member

Thats cool drunk Indians rock. :hsd:

16. spooledx2

spooledx2 New Member

You wanna save yourself alot of money get a manual tranny. Yea I know it sucks shifting a truck all the time but in the long run it will pay off I.E. no costly tranny rebuilds.

Trust me I have had a 2000 and an 03 and both had tranny problems. This is not only Dodge either , Fords , and Chebys have the same problems shredding auto's. So unless you are ready to dump 5-6K on a built tranny get the manual.

Late

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Yea, the 4L60E in the 1/2 chevys is crap. Gotta get a 3/4ton if you get a Chevy. Unfortunatly, dodge can't build an auto tranny in ANY of their trucks to save a life.