info on stage 3 clutches

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by bmxenbrett, Feb 14, 2005.

1. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

i just ordered one to put in my 240sx its mostly stock, planing on doing more to it but not sure yet. my clutch is slipping so i just decided to say fuck it and went with the stage 3. im hearing that its going to give my left leg an masive workout? this true?

INFO PLEASE

2. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

Stage 3 what?
    Umm I hear you need to have dual carbon roof scoops and other goodies to get 10 stars.

Stage 3 does not mean shit unless you have a company and what type of clutch it is (organic or puck style, etc.)

3. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

4. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

Does it have the springs in it?
    If it does not, it will be very harsh, almost off/on and will be very tough on your clutch master cylinder.
    I think you would be better off just installing a good organic street/strip organic clutch, similar to ACT2600 clutches. They only need a tad more pedal pressure and have very good holding power.
    With a mostly stock car, you do not need a super-agressive clutch. You will just be enduring alot of heavy pedal pressure every time you get into traffic.
    What amount of torque does your car produce?

5. oakie

oakie my ninja.

despite the friction disc design, unless the pressure plate is of an improved cantilever design, you're going to get a damn stiff pedal.

and if you have a hydraulic clutch, your system will be taking a lot of abuse... you may start blowing seals left and right.

happened to me with my last car... i stuffed an ACT Xtreme pressure plate and a Street disc into my tranny. i kept popping master cylinders due to the amount of force required to depress the pressure plate.

6. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

i have replaced my clutch master and my clutch slave already also i emaied the guy i bought it from he was saying 10-15% more clutch preasure at my foot. also im not sure about the springs in the clutch disc. i bought it off ebay, would an stage 1 with springs be a better idea. i dont live in a city so traffic is verry rare but i do take a trip down near NYC every once a while. im kinda thinking that this stage 3 was a bad idea. i think im making close to 150flbs not sure tho.

one last question is a stage 1 (with or with out springs) just like an stock clutch?

7. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

Do they list the reccomended holding power on these clutches? I would say that unless you are going to be putting out alot of torque, a "Stage 1" clutch should be fine.

Generally with aftermarket clutches, a "Stage 1", being the lowest holding power of whatever brand, would have slightly better than stock holding power and where your car sits mostly stock, it should suit you just fine.

With the dampening springs, it should be good. Without is still going to be very harsh and may chatter.

8. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

im planing on putting some kinda turbo on it this summer. it makes around 140hp i think. o and how does clutch chatter work(what makes it happen, how do i fix it?)
    o and i found that it holds up to 310hp, witch is over kill even if i turbo my ka24.

9. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

Ok, you would most likely be ok with that clutch then assuming you are adding the turbo system. Clutch chatter is severe vibration that can damage driveline components. It's hard for me to explain because I have never had to deal with it or its consequences. Just do a search in google for "clutch chatter" to find out what it is and what makes it bad.

10. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

ok cool thanks a bunch

11. illeagle94

illeagle94 New Member

No problem, glad I could help.

12. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

i got my stage 3 clutch on friday
    [​IMG]

13. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

I have an RPS Stage 3 that's a 6 puck sprung hub, and I was using my Supra as my daily driver for a while, and after the first couple of days I got used to how stiff it is. And the thing grips like nothing else.

14. bmxenbrett

bmxenbrett Guest

yea i decided to exchange it for an stage 1 and a set of tein s tech springs, im going to put off my turbo up grade for an catback and a ported and polished head. but you use this stage 3 clutch as an daily driver? if so how big is ur left leg? lol you think its worth keeping it? i dont drive in the city much but it is my daily driver. i also drive about 150 miles to from school once a week also i will need to use it daily for work in the summer.
    thanks

15. VashTheStampede

VashTheStampede New Member

I don't use the car as my daily driver any more. But driving it in the city was a pain in the ass. Thankfully, I didn't have to that much, since I just took the freeways everywhere. As for if I think it's worth it, that really depends on how much power you have and how much city driving you'll actually be doing.