Info on old camaro's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jazz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I know my dad sold his 1st gen camaro when I was born to buy something more economical, so I'd like to pay him back by giving him one on his birthday.

I don't know what year it was, but I saw pictures of it and it was black and had the square headlight cover things...I doubt that gives anybody an idea on what year it might have been.

Considering I have time and a bunch of experience in a machine shop and welding, but nothing beyond maintainance in terms of engine work, how long would it take and what would it cost me? I'm talking ground up full restoration, but probably not all original stock/motor/interior etc.

something like this maybe:
    [​IMG]

What are my engine options? I'm guessing basically anything I want considering the size of engine bays back then.

2. BLoG

BLoG Scented Meat

best offspring ever :eek:

3. CitznFish

CitznFish Don't live life by a single sentence OT Supporter

if you do it right, and by yourself, you're looking at a year to 3 years. Unless you make it a full time job. :)

4. LarryZ

LarryZ i love sticky rice

pic dont work

edit: ok now it works. sorry

5. Jazz

damn :(

well that makes money less of a concern if I can spread the costs over that long :o

6. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

The one in the pic is a '69

What your planning is pretty cool, but to buy a first gen Camaro, and totally restore it from the ground up. Your are looking at a LOT of time, and a LOT of money. You'd be lucky to stay under $15k

7. Jazz

I could probably go up to $20-25k if needed

I'm pretty sure I can get my uncle in on it to do alot of the engine stuff so that should hopefully make things faster

8. chadds

chadds Roethlisberger & Palko > your QBs OT Supporter

Well, if your prepared to spend the money, best of luck to ya. $20-25k is probably gonna be closer to what you need. 1st gen Camaro's are selling for crazy prices right now. The best bet is too find one that is an older restore, or a started project. You'll spend far less getting a car that just needs finished up then getting a basket case and doing everything yourself.

Try to find someone that knows a lot about 1st gens when you go looking. It's not hard to screwed over bad when trying to by a classic car.

9. thomez

thomez Guest

68 RS/SS > *

stick with a small block, the fun of those cars was their small size and light (for the time) weight.

10. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I'd go with a crate motor maybe 350 or 454 :dunno:

11. thomez

thomez Guest

If it wasn't numbers matching I would run a 400 small block.

If it was numbers matching then I might stroke it.

12. Nutro

Nutro O|||||||O Austin Jeep Crew

Fuck it, if you're willing to spend that much on one I would find a GOOD starter car, then go LS1. I can probly find you a really clean car to start with ( I find a lot of old cars for people). A solid foundation is ALWAYS a plus when dealing with older cars.

13. Jazz

can a mod move this to America Muscle?

14. Bassheadjazz03

Bassheadjazz03 OT Supporter

15. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

If you can't find a good enough body around, you could always go with a reproduction body. This company: http://www.classicautomotiverestoration.com/ is building convertibles bodies first, soon followed by hard tops of 1969 Camaros. There was an article about them in last month's (or the month before) Hot Rod magazine. Might be a way to save some time and money or get you out of a jam if you can't find a quality body to start with.

16. Leon_Phelps

Leon_Phelps Guest

With old cars, it's far less expensive to buy a car that's already the way you want it. Anybody that disagrees has never tried it themselves.

17. Leon_Phelps

Leon_Phelps Guest

12,500 with no vin and still needs 15-20k to complete if you do all the work yourself.

18. Dragnfyre23

Dragnfyre23 New Member

I have been restoring my 69 firebird for a year now, I am on a tight budget but time is even harder to find. After mine is done I would love to track down my dads old 67 Camaro buy it and restore it secretly for him.

19. AlbinoMuntjac

AlbinoMuntjac New Member

I don't know about where you live, but around here the classics are really hard to come by in decent condition. And when you do happen to find one, you are paying a serious premium just because it says "Mustang," "Camaro," etc. on the back, no matter the overall condition of the car. :hs:

20. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

If I were you I'd get a clean 6 cyl (69 Camaro) > * and make a ss or rs/ss clone. The Z/28 clones are nice but I'd rather have a big block. Also what some others are saying about dropping in a small block don't listen to them get a big block. The torque pumped out from a BBC will take care of the extra weight. Just look at the 1/4 mile numbers from back then. Get an older 454 and shorten the rods making it a 427. A good place for new parts is www.firstgen.com they're cheaper than year one and most other palces like D&R. Paddock has good prices but I think some of their products are shit. Good luck and ask any questions you have, I've done tons of restoration work on my 69 camaro SS 396.

21. rumpy

rumpy I am of two minds...literally OT Supporter

A BBC is only like 100 - 200 lbs more than a small block depending on the set up. alum / or iron

22. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

Everyone is giving a lot of different reccomendations on the engine... all of them good, but all suited to different tastes.

First figure out your budget for the engine... there's a Chevy V8 for every price range.

Then figure out how your dad will want to use this car. Daily driver, show car, drag racer, all of the above?

For ultimate power and 'wow factor' you can't beat a big block. But they're more expensive and heavier as someone mentioned. So if you want the best handling or price is a concern it might not be the best idea.

The new LS1 and LS6 smallblock engines are great- lightweight (all aluminum), tons of power potential, good mpg and run trouble free with modern fuel injection & computer management. Depending on your dad's taste, he might like the newfangled high-tech LS engine, or prefer an old school V8 like he used to have. A complete setup will be pricier than an old style smallblock.

The cheapest, most common and most versatile option is a regular small block Chevy. If your dad will never drive over the speed limit, just get a basic one for cheap. However if you want speed it's hard to get a better bang for the buck than a built smallblock... they can make 500+ hp built right.

If your dad likes old school stuff and doesn't mind tinkering with cars you might want to save some money and go with a carb. Gas mileage won't be quite as good as with fuel injection, but it can make whatever power level you want. If you want a 'set it and forget it' system that delivers modern driveability, all kinds of factory and aftermarket fuel injection systems are avalible for Chevy engines.

Then there's the transmission. Automatic or manual? If the car is going to be a driver, you'd like a recent 5 or 6 speed manual or 4 speed overdrive auto for the most driveability and mileage. If it's just a weekend car or you want to stick with something more original, you can save a little cash going with an older 4 speed manual or 3 speed turbo hydramatic auto.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  23. z284pwr

z284pwr OT Supporter

Very good points here, what the vehicle is going to be doing, and the budget are going to be the determining factor....

Yes a 454 is very fun in a 1st gen Camaro, and will have no problem getting up and out of its way....
    Or an everyday crate 350 can be had for a mere 2,000, or a crazy 502 crate for $7,000 or so, or even the LS1 crate swap from GMPartsDirect WITH computer and other goodies for $5,900, plus a mere cam swap and your going to have a real mover....

24. Fat_Nate

Fat_Nate Guest

A few weeks ago there was a fully restored 67 camaro for sale off of a street we are on often. We looked at it, it had been restored frame off and needed to be painted it was all in primer but looked amazing. We never looked under the hood but it was for sale for $7k so it probably had a 350 in it. So you can good deals but you just gotta be there at the right time and place.