Infinity car speakers --any good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Apr 23, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So I installed my Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492 radio and am considering getting some speakers with my tax return. My car is a 2000 Honda Civic EX and currently has all stock speakers/wiring. I listen primarily to metal and have no desire for a sub. I don't want to spend very much but also don't want to buy cheap crap... just mediocre stuff.

What I was thinking:
    - Door - Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2"/6-3/4" Shallow 2way - $100
    - Rear - Infinity Kappa 692.7i 6"x9" 2way - $169.99

Opinions, recommendations?

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

I think you should look into kicker speakers. they're efficient and will run off your head unit well. also, you may re-consider a sub after you put the speakers in. yeah yeah, you don't want to rattle the windows. think about this, how much kick drum and bass riffs are there in the metal that you listen to? how much of that are you missing by not having maybe 1 10" sub in your car? how's that for a different prospective?

3. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Hmm, I'll look into Kicker speakers. As far as the sub goes, I just prefer the sound of bass through a speaker vs a sub. To me I hear the actual sound better through a speaker where as I hear more of a vibration through subs. Now if I was going to be buying higher end stuff I may look into it but for now I'll probably just keep the speakers. Thanks though...

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

I'd highly recommend amping the front speakers. The difference is outstanding.

Infinity's are alright.. but you can do better for the same price.

Phoenix Gold 6.5 RSD's are the best bang for the buck out there.. and you can get them for under $100 shipped off ebay IIRC.

[They're components though.. amazing speakers but you'll have to find a place for the tweeter.. not exactly plug n play compared to the coaxial infinity's you posted.]

If you amp them and sound deaden your door.. they'll have loads of power and awesome midbass.

Put cheaper speakers in the back. Unless you're in a comp, you only really need rears for rear fill.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i don't think this is one of those situations where he should be amping and componenting. his wants appear to be replacing factory speakers with something a bit better.

check out the kickers (circuit city has them). they are a little cheaper than the infinity and i think rock out a little harder.

6. Original

Original OT Supporter

Sounds good. For the speakers he listed I would amp them for sure. Didn't know how hard he wanted to bump :coolugh:

But cheaper speakers run by the HU should do fine as well :hs:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

in a perfect car audio world, we'd all have 10's that pounded like 18's with ultimate sound quality, amps that sounded like heaven flowing from the speakers and perfectly accurate tweeter placement. buuuuut, sometimes the budget doesn't allow for all that, and we just have to find the absolute best solution for the problem before us! :bigthumb:

8. Wolf-Strong

Wolf-Strong New Member

Infinity makes some of my favorite car audio equipment. I am in the same boat in that I never really cared much for a sub, rather I prefer a nice wholesome sound without overload in any one area (bass). From what I have experienced, for car audio, I will put almost nothing but Infinity speakers in as I am just in love with their highs and mids and with 6x9s coupled with a good amp, plenty of bass for my tastes.

Now on the other hand, I hate to be the negative one, but Kicker never really did it for me.

9. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I'm not an Infinity fan, but if you get them, pay attention to their impedence. IIRC they're 2 ohms and most h/u's are rated at 4 ohms.

10. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I bought some Kappa 6x9's in 99-2000. Took them out of my old car, and have them in my current one. Still work good. Decent speaker.

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

they are nothing like they were, about 5 years ago is when we noticed a difference in the sound quality.

12. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I had a set of kappa perfects in my old truck, running off a US acoustics amp. The sound was always crisp and well defined, but as people mentioned they are a bit on the pricey side.

13. james330i

james330i Imported Redneck

yeah i was about to say how good my kappas sounded when I had them back in 98. One of the better sounding speakers i've heard running off aftermarket head unit internal amp.

14. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

I'd go with the Pheniox Gold RSd components for the front then spend the money for the back speakers on a cheap 2 channel.