Infinity Basslink vs. Bazooka tubes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jsiu, Nov 8, 2004.

1. jsiu

jsiu New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little extra juice from my (for the most part) stock stereo system. I drive a '93 Celica GT-S with the factory "System 10" option (10 speakers with amp), whose headunit I replaced with a Sony Xplod receiver (I'll be replacing this one shortly) about two years ago. The main things I'm looking for are, in order of importance:

1) As cheap as possible (~$300 max)
    2) Conserve as much trunk space as possible.
    3) Don't want a system that will set off alarms as I drive by or create annoying rattles.

Thus, this is why I'm looking into the Infinity Basslink and the self-amplified Bazooka tubes. Basically, I'd like a little more bass from my system while keeping the sound clean. So far I'm leaning towards the Basslink as I've read better consumer reviews of it thusfar. but I was hoping you guys could help with the decision. Would you recommend the Basslink over the Bazooka tubes or vice versa (please specify the bazooka model)? Or perhaps you know of another cost-friendly option? I know this subject has probably been beaten to death, and I apologize, but I didn't really get the answers I was looking for after searching the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

:)

2. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I've never gotten a chance to listen to the Bazooka Tubes, however I do have an Infiniti Basslink. I have it installed in my GTI, and I love it. I had an 'overkill' setup in my old car, but putting it into a hatchback would have been even more unnecessary, so I opted for a cheaper, lighter alternative.

I've read that the Basslinks and similar units don't sound nearly as well in trunks than they do in hatchbacks, probably the reason I have read negative feedback on them saying that they aren't powerful enough.

My car came stock with amplified components (front & rear), and the basslink provides more than enough power to keep up with them. Basslinks are definately not head turners (another reason I opted for one - that kind of attention is not what I want). They do however sound very impressive inside the vehicle, and if all you want is clean sounding bass for you and your passengers, I'd reccommend it anytime.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you can get so much better sound from a good driver, amp, and enclosure than any basslink or bazooka-tube can ever provide... Find a good, small driver and good amp and use it.

nothing wrong with a high-quality 8" sub and a good 150W amp.

4. jsiu

jsiu New Member

majik2837 - what you're describing sounds exactly like what I want from my system. My Celica is a hatchback, so I was pretty sure from the beginning that either the Bazooka or Basslink would sound great inside my car. Like you, I'm looking for a little extra punch and a cleaner sound from my system, but nothing that will bring attention to me (or the surrounding car alarms).

jollyogre - I would like to have a great setup, but I'm really not prepared to shell out a lot of cash for my car's audio system. That and I don't want a sub taking up a lot of trunk space. Also, something like what you're suggesting sounds like there'll be more custom work involved (i.e. the sub box). Like I mentioned earlier, I'm only looking for a little extra bass and a cleaner sound. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

5. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Sure, you could get a better sounding driver and amp setup that has a whole lot more potential, but if you don't want to make a scene, why bother? Some of us actually prefer to entertain ourselves with clean, accurate bass rather than everyone within a 150' radius. And if you've never heard a Basslink, or have only heard one in cars w/ trunks, then don't hate on it's sound quality. I will agree 100% that they don't sound good at all in regular coupe/sedan vehicles.

SQ>SPL

6. Qutec

Qutec Guest

I have a basslink in my '96 F150, had to raise the back bench seat for it to fit.
    I love the hell out of the thing. Has great inside bass, and none of the long distance annoying type of bass.

Don't pay much more than $250 for one. I searched froogle and got mine for 254 shipped.

Q

7. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

yea, they retail at about $350, but I got mine on ebay for like $260 or so.

8. jsiu

jsiu New Member

I was going to order one (and a Pioneer receiver) through SoundDomain since they're an authorized dealer of both companies. I'm sure I won't need the factory warranty, but I tend to get paranoid about things failing when I purchase them through non-authorized dealers.

:hs:

9. Qutec

Qutec Guest

I got mine here

It didn't have the remote, but I got the clear one, although I think the black one looks a bit better.

Q

10. waldo98

waldo98 OT Supporter

I am pretty content with my Basslink. Its good enough to fill in the low end and doesn't take up much space at all. However, if you want some real bass, get the usual subwoofer/box/amp set up.

11. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Forgot to comment on it's size; with my old setup in my accord, I had to take out everything (box, amp, subs) if I needed to carry stuff around in my trunk (which was many, many times). So far, I've only had to move my Basslink out of the way once, which was for a rather large Craftsman roll-away tool box that took up the entire hatch and rear seat area. Everything else I've moved around fits in fine with the Basslink.

12. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

I hear that alot. But no one ever posts examples of what they mean. I'm all game for something like that.

13. Fire Sauce

Fire Sauce New Member

In the GTI, can you fit the Basslink where the Monsoon amp goes?

I have a GTI, too, and I'm looking at getting some audio stuff.

14. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Nah, it's too big for that, even if you took out the cd changer, monsoon amp, and all the mounting hardware. I ended up taking out the changer, leaving the amp, and putting in a Kenwood Music Keg in that compartment.

15. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

16. GSteg

GSteg Member

if space is a concern, get the infinity basslink. if you have space to spare, get a seperate amp/sub.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you've got room for a 1.3 Cu. Ft. box and a 12" sub, then do a JL 12W0 and a JL e1200 monoblock. Cheap setup (costs less than $100 for the sub and $120 for the amp) and it will kick the crap out of any bass link).

If you need smaller, look at a Resonant Engineering 8" sub, or something. The RE8's run around $50.

18. RobsMob

RobsMob Guest

Thanks for the ideas. Dumb question....where to get RE8's?

19. GSteg

GSteg Member