Infinity Basslink, any opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by phatbastard, Jul 8, 2002.

1. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

I'm upgrading the stereo in my highway car, a 1994 Ford Crown Victoria. Understand that I'm not going for competition sound, and I don't want to fill the big trunk with a box of subs. (I kinda like that big trunk.) I've been looking at the Infinity Basslink amplified 10" sub. Review say that they are good in hatchbacks, apparently because their is more airspace. If that is the deal, the trunk is plenty big, but the trunk is pretty well insulated from the inside of the car.

Uh, kinda wordy so far.

Cliff notes, will a $300 amplified sub do a decent job adding lows to a big effin car?

Thanks in advance for opinions.

2. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

basslink is ok. i'd rather go with separate sub and amp. but that's just me.

3. nellystyle

nellystyle Guest

basslink=shit

dont waste your $$ on a basslink, it's a piece of shit, i used to work in a shop where we sold them, and let me tell you in a crown vic you will never in your entire life even feel the 'thump' from the so called subs that they have. if it's a space issue, go with a single 10" sub, like alpine or something decent. when you go seperate amplifier/sub you're like 10 times better for sound quality. and if you put in the basslink, and decide to change it with a new stereo/subs/amp or whatever, you will have to run all new wires, that ini basslink only takes 8 guage in, and if you have a shop put it in they'll only use the 8 guage, run 4 guage to the trunk, and use a d-block to split it into the 8 guage, that way, if you upgrade, you can knock off the d-block, and shove that fuckin juiced power cord in the fuckin amp... peace

4. nellystyle

nellystyle Guest

5. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

Thanks for the head's up, nellystyle. I almost bit the bullet on that one. It sounded good in the shop, but like you said, I was worried it couldn't be felt inside the vic. I do have a Polk dX10 in a small box in my Fiero, would a box about the same dimensions as the Basslink (14x14x17x9) be big enough for a sub like that? That size would fit up on that shelf perfectly.

6. TotalEclipse02

TotalEclipse02 OT Supporter

I think they are okay... we sell them too and customers that aren't into car audio are usually pretty happy with them. I mean they ARE Pretty darn convienant and pretty good bang for the buck too.

I was actually surprised that they got decently loud.

This is just from my experience with them.

7. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

8. nellystyle

nellystyle Guest

honestly, i would recommend going with the bazooka triangle sub, i used to sell those like crazy. sold one with the bazooka monoblock amp and 4guage kit. honestly they sound like 2 10s if you run them right, as for your single 10, why not give it a shot? pay someone (or do it yourself) to run the wires and then throw in the single 10, if you dont like it, go out and buy something new, and this way when you show up to try other stuff out, you'lll have the wires run so they can hook it up and give a demo. also if you pay them to install it, chances are they'll switch it for you free.. later

9. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

I saw the Bazooka that you are talking about. It really wouldn't fit where I want it to, and if I put it on the floor of the trunk wouldn't a round speaker sound better? I don't pretend to be an expert, just asking...

10. nellystyle

nellystyle Guest

putting it on the floor has nothing to do with round/triangular subs. the triangle actually displaces more air which results in more bass and more of a feel. like i said, try the 10" you have, run the 4 guage to be safe, only like 20 bucks more than the 8, and hook up as many setups as you want, putting that triagle sub in the car will literally take like 5 mins for them to hook up, it's a pos/neg and that's it! well good luck!!

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

you must have sold junk in yoru shop tah bazzok trinagle is a joke now the square sub makes sence but the trinagle has LESS cone area if i am not mistaken you are better off runing a seprate amp and sub but i would not og with the polk or the bazooka both are junk look more into image dynamics and focal even the higer en alpine or the kicker square many good brands out there many pices of shit too do some reserch sounddomian is a good palce to ask around dont rely on the opnions of jsut on person to amke you desision

12. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

No disresect, pal, but Jesus, who taught your typing class?:slap:

"but the trinagle has LESS cone area " then a round speaker was the point I'm trying to make. If I'm going to put a box that has that big of footprint on the trunk of my car, I think a round speaker would have more cone space and would tend to sound better. Like I said, not an expert, but doesn't that make sense?

As far as flynfrog's assesment of what brands I should get, yes, you have dropped the right names and I am suitably impressed with your level of car audio snobbery. Yes, those brands are pretty nice from what I hear. However, I'm not competing, I'm not a 19 year old kid who needs to shake the mirrors off the doors, and I'm married, so I don't need to impress anyone to get laid. The Polk will do fine for me.

13. nellystyle

nellystyle Guest

i think they key was the price range, i could have said go get some eclipse alum or audiobahns or some alpine type R's and run them through a rockford symetry processor, but i know my shit , and we didn't sell shit unless you think the brands i just stated are shit. and as far as the bazooka tri sub, it's the best bang for the buck out there right now, it's in it's own bandpass box that is specifically created for the dimensions of the sub and work perfectly. when you heard if you must not have had a decent amp because i've heard it shit on many subs time after time. and i'm not recommending him to go on only what i say, hence me saying hook up wires, and try different setups, but hey, opinions are opinions, but you dont just go out throwing names/brands, we all know those.

--edit-- and another thing.
    you said about the larger surface area the better the bass or whatever, you must have been in spl and not sq, because if you want a tight bass you dont go surface area.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

well if price is the issue there is still a better bang for the buck then the bazzoka and i wanst trying to be a snob but ive been in car audio on all levels from 2 rf 12s on a profile amp hooked into my pryamid eq off of a casset deck to my systme i building now using brax comopnets and amps with id subs

im not sure what the bazzoko costs but id be willing to bet that you could get a lower end RF or kicker in a box you built and still out preforme the bazzoka

IMO the bazzoka had one purpose to get stupid people to buiy it thinking it was like the kicker square and whats up with the liquid cooling thing i had over 2k to my subs and never had a heat issuse on the subs and not on my sub amp ethier

as far as my typing skills are concernd you try typing with dislexia

15. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

do to ghey 5 min edit ill ahve to make another post my point was its much cehaper to spend a little more the first time then keep upgrading go on sounddomain look up prices youd be suprised at what you get with just a little more money and belive my polk is absoute junk in my experince

16. phatbastard

phatbastard Guest

My apologies for criticizing the typing skills. Dyslexia has got to be no fun.

As far as what's cheaper, I'd have to say as I already own the Polk, that would have to be my cheapest option. I'm really not looking at Bazooka at al, as I have tried Bazooka tubes and found the quality of construction pretty sub-par. The sound of the triangular ones might be better, but once bitten, twice shy. I have been using the Polk for about 2 years now and have been pleased with the performance and construction. Maybe I got lucky on this one.

Anyhow, I don't want this to turn into a flamefest, I appreciate everyones opinion and replies on this. And again, I apologize for being insensitive.

17. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

hey no prob if i dont get falmed at least 3 times a week on ot about typing i think something is wrong and my typing class i cheated i stole some ones disk : x but i was jsut trying to help you would be supprised what you cajn do with any sub in a proper box but car audio is a disease once you buy something you ahve to have the next bigger thing if your happy with the pold by all means keep the polk