Infiniti G35x or 2005 Acura RL AWD?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 5.10-Crux, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 5.10-Crux

5.10-Crux New Member

I need an AWD sedan with decent power.
    Been seriously considering the G35 AWD Sedan...
    but recently heard rumors of a Acura RL 300hp AWD model coming out for 2005.

Should I go for the G35x or wait for the Acura RL?

http://www.acura.com/index.asp - click on the RL Prototype flash button.

2. psalm

psalm Thanks niquesuave06 for the AV

Isn't the G35 with the ATTESA system only available in the 4 door auto?

If so that thing is fugly and an auto, wait for the Acura. If you can get the G35 in a stick coupe... then I'd take that.

ATTESA > all other AWD systems

**edit**
    The RL engine is mated to an electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission

NM - they both suck. ;) Just get whichever one you like the look of more.

3. attomica

attomica Active Member

You could wait for Infiniti's M to come out. It can be had with a V6 in RWD or AWD and it can be had with a V8 too.

http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,5757,cid-33903_sctid-52321,00.html

4. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

:werd:

A current RL can reach ~$46k, and the next one might be even more. That's way beyond G35 range. The new M should be closer to the RL in terms of price/features/size, too.

5. C32

C32 *The M3 Executioner*

The NEW M isn't coming out until 2006.... The current generation isn't that bad at all, except I don't think you can get it with a stick.

6. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

Acura said the new RL won't go over 50 grand

7. Seeker

The M should be here next spring, at least in M35 form, which should pretty comparable to the RL. I think the M45 is supposed to come later. You can get the current M45 with a 5sp manual.

8. Jujharoo

Jujharoo New Member

G35 is much better choice than the RL. Simply because of the Nissans ATTESA AWD system. Thats what they used in the GTRs. Also VQ35 engine is just amazing, with huge aftermarket support and very very easy to work on if ever decided to modfy the car. Plus I personaly think that the G35 looks much better than the RL or any other car in its class.

9. 5.10-Crux

5.10-Crux New Member

What makes the ATTESA AWD system better than others?

10. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

Wow, that acura looks nice. It would be hard to decide between the two. I'm sure the acura will cost a bit more, but it may be a bigger car than the g.

11. psalm

psalm Thanks niquesuave06 for the AV

In Laymans terms, the ATTESA AWD system is opposite of most awd systems you find on the market today. They are RWD until power to the wheels exceeds the gripping capacity, and then power transfers to the front wheels.

Almost all other AWD systems on the market are FWD with RWD power when needed, or a 50/50 (or close to) split.

12. Seeker

Does the G35's version of ATTESA-ETS start out at 50:50? I thought maybe it did, and then the ATTESA-PRO of the GT-R had the system you described. I guess I'm wrong. :dunno:

13. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

The G35's ATTESA is rear biased: 25 up front, 75 out back. It can transfer up to 50% to the front wheels if needed and up to 90% to the rear if needed. The snow mode locks it in 50:50.

14. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

I say wait until real tests come out for the RL. Don't decide on it yet. Wait until the end of the year, or the beginning of next year to buy it. By that time a lot of kinks will be worked out too, either way you go that is.

I vote for the RL, but I like acuras/hondas. The interior is incredibly nice, much larger than the G35 i would say. I am just not a big fan of the G35 sedan styling. too boxy and plain for my liking.

but i say wait until multiple road tests are done on the RL before you make any sort of decision. I believe it will be in the lexus LS, infiniti M, bmw 5 series category. but that is just what it has been in previous years

15. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Mm I didn't think the G35X came with ATTESA, I thought it was just full time 50:50, guess I'm wrong though? :shrug:
    And yeah right now the AWD version of the G35 is only in the 4 door

16. 5.10-Crux

5.10-Crux New Member

http://www.nissannews.com/infiniti/2004vehicles/g35/awdtech.shtml

2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan All-Wheel Drive Model Offers All-Season Performance With Advanced ATTESA E-TS

In researching and planning the new 2004 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan all-wheel drive model, the development team identified a number of key demands and characteristics of the target customer group. Like the owners of the rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, they see themselves as true drivers – educated about all things automotive, seekers of dynamic, invigorating and interactive experiences on the road. Along with performance, they want a sense of confidence, control and safety. Where they differ from their rear-wheel drive G35 counterparts is on one point: they absolutely don't want the driving experience restricted by weather.

"Traditionally, buyers of all-wheel drive sedans are primarily concerned about enhanced traction and control in poor weather conditions," said Mark Igo, vice president and general manager, Infiniti Division. "The target buyers of the new all-wheel drive G35, however, want more. They reject the notion that driving enjoyment must be compromised by the addition of two additional driving wheels. Simply put, they want the best of both AWD and RWD worlds – which is exactly what the addition of intelligent AWD to our G35 lineup delivers."

The key to the performance of the new all-wheel drive G35 is its state-of-the-art ATTESA E-TS™ all-wheel drive system, which is arguably one of the most advanced on-pavement all-wheel drive systems in the world.

The ATTESA E-TS, which stands for Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split, utilizes an electro-magnetic clutch control design (in contrast to typical oil pressure clutch control) to provide quicker response, lighter weight (approximately 22 pounds lighter than a similar oil pressure clutch control design with center differential) and true variable torque distribution, ranging from 50:50 up to 0:100 percent front-to-rear ratio (versus fixed ratio competitive systems).

Some of the G35 system's benefits over front-wheel drive-based AWD systems with traditional center differentials include:

• Faster torque distribution control response to changes in road conditions
    • Ability to adjust torque without the onset of wheel spin allows G35 to uniquely optimize the torque distribution based on driving conditions
    • Better base performance due to rear-wheel drive base layout (versus front-wheel drive based AWD layouts)
    • Better standing start performance on snow through use of Snow-Mode switch
    How It Works

The ATTESA system is designed for smooth starts, better fuel economy and better traction and maneuverability on snowy roads than conventional all-wheel drive systems and minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance characteristics on dry roads.
    The system's advanced torque split control strategy automatically transfers optimum torque to the wheels according to road and driving conditions. It provides outstanding cornering capability similar to a sports car due to optimum torque distribution to the front and rear wheels (from approximately 0:100 up to 50:50).

System sensors continuously monitor vehicle speed, throttle position and wheel spin (at all four wheels). When road conditions don't require AWD, the G35 acts and feels like the award-winning rear-wheel drive G35 sedan, with the system capable of sending up to 100 percent of the power to the rear wheels. By comparison, leading competitive AWD systems with center differential transfer systems limit the amount of available power at the rear wheels to 50 percent (Audi A4 Quattro), 60 percent (Mercedes C-class 4-matic) or 62 percent (BMW 330xi). The G35 thus offers minimal compromise of rear-wheel drive performance and handling feel.
    From a standing start, the ATTESA system adjusts the front-to-rear torque distribution, adding 25 percent to the front wheels for a more powerful start. The system then quickly adjusts torque distribution as needed, sending up to 100 percent to the rear wheels if conditions warrant, or adjusting the front drive percentage up to 50 percent as needed.

In cornering situations, the ATTESA system can detect traction needs throughout the course of a turn and react accordingly. With its millisecond response time, the system can shift toque back and forth between the front and rear wheels to help enhance stability and traction. For example, in entering a corner (under normal driving conditions), the system functions nearly the same as any rear-wheel drive car. Torque distribution is almost 100 percent rear. Once in the corner, the system is able to transfer to the front wheels that portion of the drive torque that the rear wheels can't handle. This results in outstanding, sports car-like cornering ability. When exiting the corner, torque can be quickly transferred according to the wheel spin of the rear wheels from 50:50 up to 0:100 for smooth acceleration out of the turn.

Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

"Only the all-wheel drive G35 feels like a rear-wheel drive performance sedan, giving the drivers in Northern climates all-season driving enjoyment," said Igo.

See the attached page for a full technical illustration of the ATTESA system layout.

One Fully Equipped AWD Model

Beginning in early December 2003, the all-wheel drive G35 Sport Sedan will be available in one fully equipped model, the AWD G35 Sedan. It will be badged the G35x.

The 2004 G35 Sedan Leather AWD comes with a standard DOHC 24-valve V6 engine with 260-horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque, a 5-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode and Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC). Along with its advanced engine and all-wheel drive technology, the G35’s performance is enhanced by a 4-wheel independent suspension with lightweight aluminum components and highly aerodynamic styling – including a coefficient of drag of just 0.27 and zero degrees of front lift.

The G35 AWD's advanced braking system utilizes power-assisted 4-wheel vented disc brakes, 4-channel, 4-sensor Anti-lock Braking System (ABS), Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD), which distributes brake force depending on load condition (passengers and cargo) and Brake Assist (BA), which senses hard or panic pedal application and helps provide maximum braking capacity and Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS), which uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin and applies braking to the spinning wheel.

The 2004 G35 also features standard 17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with P215/55R17 tires and standard Tire Pressure Monitor System.

"Like every G35, the new AWD model stands out among other performance luxury sedans with its unmatched combination of styling, interior roominess, powerful 3.5-liter V6 and exceptionally balanced Front-Midship platform," said Igo. "Now, with the addition of its advanced, intelligent all-wheel drive system, the G35 adapts its performance to all seasons.”

###

10/03

17. Brigante

Brigante i'm a lurker without an avatar, deal with it

well, in due time you may want to reconsider choosing the G35 awd over the new RL. this article is very speculative and vague yet it shows just how promising this new RL appears to be. it's yet to be seen if all this hype about the new RL will be true by the time it hits dealer showrooms. but if any of this is true regarding this new RL, i'd find it quite hard to choose the infiniti over it.

i also find it hard to figure out what car to buy that isn't available. i'm looking forward to the release of this new RL and do hope it rises to all this hype simply coz i think acura needs this to be competitive amongst the serious luxury cars. coz at this point, acuras just don't cut it when you add bmw, mercedes, audi, lexus, and even infiniti. they're great cars, well-built, lots of value, but they lack the prestige and/or sport factor that the aforementioned cars have.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

05.10 Bestcar update on '05 RL/Legend

Date: April 25, 2004 12:50
    Submitted by: Jeff
    Source: BestCar Magazine (5.10 issue)
    Credibility Rating: 8

While visiting Japan last week I picked up the latest issue of BestCar Magazine. Inside this issue is a multi-page article regarding the new RL. The article is currently being translated, but so far there are some very interesting points.

The author of the article says he has been tracking the development of the RL/Legend since a development prototype was tested at the Nürburgring last year. According to the article, an RL/Legend test mule with a prototype SH-AWD sytstem was tested at the 'Ring against a Skyline GT-R. The article states that the RL's lap times consistently bested the GT-R. The author makes the statement that the SH-AWD's performance dynamics are so innovative that he's convinced current systems from Nissan's GT-R, Subaru's Imprezza (WRX), and Mitsubishi's Lancer - leaders in AWD technology, are a step behind. He goes further and suggests that SH-AWD's performance handling dynamics are so groundbreaking that it threatens to surpass BMW's M5 class (hmmm - we shall see).

The next part of the article discusses the RL's styling and how within the Japanese press there had been many speculative drawings and CG graphics of the car's expected design. Upon the release of the RL concept sketches by Honda on April 1st, the reaction was said to be generally quite favorable. The consensus was this new RL/Legend design was very appealing, innovative and sporty. The article includes several CG (computer generated) images of the car, showing front and rear views, and they are quite accurate (this particular issue of the magazine hit newstands only 3 days after the official photos of the Legend/RL were released by Honda/Acura).

The RL's motor is discussed briefly, and it mentions that it will be dubbed "S-VTEC". It's unclear whether the "S" represents "Super" or "Sports". The writer predicts that the motor will be the blueprint for the powrplant of the next NSX. As we've heard from the NYIAS, there is extensive use of carbon and aluminum components in the engine, drivetrain and aluminum die-cast panels/parts in the body structure with the purpose of minimizing weight, while maintaining structural strength. Definitely with this new RL/Legend, the focus is on sports performance - it is evident in the powertrain and the bolder design of the car.

The (speculated) dimensions and specs listed are as follows*:
    Length: 196.5 in. (193.5 in.)
    Width: 72.8 in. (72.6 in.)
    Height: 57.0 in. (57.1 in.)
    Wheelbase: 114.3 in. (110.2 in.)
    Weight: 3,748
    Engine (mentioned above): J35A S-VTEC
    Displacement: 3.5L
    Horsepower: 280 @6200 rpm, 300 (for North America)
    Torque: 260lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
    Price: $40K USD

*NOTE:This BestCar article was written prior to April 7th, 2004, when many of the actual specifications were released, so the figures they list are obviously speculative. The official published specifications are shown in parentheses. The official weight, torque, and pricing have yet to be released.

Several pages of the article are left to be translated. Any further revealing details will be shared in a subsequent news item.

The TOV thanks 'Legendry329' for assisting with the translation

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  18. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I've seen G35 AWDs in the snow. It ain't pretty. It seems like it has a hard time figuring out what it is doing, and by that time a lady in a pink cadilac has rear ended them.

Maybe it's just meant to sound cool. Like VTEC. Put a name on something and suddenly all of the kiddies think it's the cats meow.