Infested with Pop-Up's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BradUF, Jul 18, 2004.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I cleared cookies and everything and I scanned my computer with spybot and removed everything. I also put up my firewall and pop up blocker and I cant get rid of the pop ups. Any Ideas what to do next?

2. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

run spybot, adaware and hijackthis and maybe trendmiro's online scanner

3. Rawrsome

Rawrsome RAWR

Make sur eyou have the newest version of Spybot Search and Destroy. Its 1.3. Dont just try to update using the built in update. uninstall, redownload, and install new version. It will get rid of EVEYRHTING..

4. maicowchoy

maicowchoy Guest

For spyware I use, Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and Google Toolbar to block the pop-ups. :)

Good thinking. BTW: Why doesn't it upgrade through the program?

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

If you're still having problems, look in your Add/Remove Software panel for a listing for PGate Basic.

PGate Basic is evil. I ran several spyware and anti-virus apps and none of them could kill it. Finally found a removal tool specifially for it that killed it.

If you have this on your machine, let me know and i'll look up the URL for the removal tool again.

6. d0rkus

d0rkus I has a booger. OT Supporter

download hijackthis, run it, save the log and post it here, then we will tell you what to do after that

7. Apothis

Apothis New Member

First, ditch IE in favor of Firefox. That alone will prevent nearly all of that crap from coming back. As for removing what's already there, I vote for ad-aware. Spybot has its charm too, but in my experience, only picks up about 1/10 of what ad-aware finds, and is also less effective than ad-aware when it comes to actually removing the stuff.

Using FF and ad-aware, you'll almost never be "infested" again.