Infectious Mononucleosis -- no idea where to put this

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Hym3n, May 30, 2005.

1. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Recently diagnosed with infectious mononucleosis (aka "mono" aka "kissing disease"). I'm going through the symptoms right now and it's safe to say that this sucks. I do not believe that my girlfriend is infected as well, but we're not sure and are going to have her tested shortly.

I've been warned against physical activity by various doctors, namely contact sports, due to the enlarged spleen that I _may_ have.

My question to you guys is this: how long do I need to wait until I can begin to have sex again? Not really interested in rupturing my spleen, but also don't want to wait months to start having sex again.

2. Diedemus

Diedemus Google is my HMO

depends on your immune system, when I had mono I was basically over it in a few weeks, I still felt like shit but wasnt as sore or tired. Drink a LOT! of water, and sleep as much as you can, once you get to the point where you arnt tired constantly you should be more able to handle the sex, DO NOT STOP DRINKING ALOT OF WATER THOUGH.

3. Carpet Liquor

Carpet Liquor New Member

I was over it in a week, I didn't wait that long to resume sexual activity.

4. Hym3n

Hym3n New Member

Thing is I'm not tired at all. AT ALL. Infact, I'm having difficulty sleeping. I've only been getting 6-7 hours a night, with many wakeup intervals inbetween, mostly me choking on my saliva as I cannot swallow without severe discomfort. The only real symptoms I'm having are the extreme sore throat (which I recently took a steroid shot for, I was having difficulty breathing), and an occasional strong headache.

Not tired, just don't want to... rupture my spleen..

5. BTA

BTA New Member

The tiredness usually comes after the initial symptoms I believe. It last upwards of a couple months depending on your immune system.

Personally when I got mono (quite recently), my liver got enflamed (unlike the more common spleen problems), and I got really really really dehydrated even though i was drinking a lot of liquids. So, my semen was quite...thick.

I dunno it just wasnt something I thought about until i felt better.

However before I was diagnosed and was just having smaller symptoms, I was still having sex quite regularly :)

6. iluvtoswallow

iluvtoswallow New Member

when I had mono the tiredness lasted almost three months. I basically slept 23 hours a day. I'd wake up and eat and go back to sleep. I was living with my bf at the time though and he never caught it even though we were still messing around and stuff. I'd ask your doctor about having sex. You should be okay. I was under the understanding that with an enlarged spleen you should stay away from contact sports like football or hockey. I doubt you could rupture your spleen having sex..

7. BTA

BTA New Member

Depends how rough you like yer sex :naughty:

8. Sionell89

Sionell89 I grew up when I wasn't looking

Don't underestimate this. Just concentrate o n kicking this. If you don't, you could be battling it for the rest of your life. A good friend of mine from college has been battling her case of mono for 10 years. It's completely debilitating her.

9. dloseke

dloseke Noobish Silver Member

I was out for a week to a week and a half, but I took two weeks off (short term disability baby!) but I'm not over physical. I don't think I sexed for about 3 weeks after diagnosis...and it depends on what and how your're doing...if you keep things away from hitting your abdomen, I don't see anything wrong with it if you're taking it easy......you'll just wear out fast if it's early on..

10. lauren

lauren Active Member

i was sick for two good weeks. i believe you are contagious for the week before you are symtomatic, and then the first week of symptons.

for the record, i got it and i know i wasnt kissing anyone. my bf was pissed bc he still thinks i got it from messing around. sucks dude. have sex when you fell better, just be mindful of elbows or knees to your organ.

11. BTA

BTA New Member

It's only called the kissing disease because it is most commonly transmitted by saliva.

You coulda got it from sharing a glass or a water fountain or who knows where.

The only good thing is its like chicken pox where if you have it once you usually cant get it again.

12. Stunkeerg

Stunkeerg Viking Raid Leader

The best advice is to listen to your body. The initial onset of mono isn't too bad and everyones experience is different, mine landed my sorry ass in the hospital for a week. Just take it slow and allow your body to heal and your gf will most likely get it. You are contagious for up to a year.