Inexpensive pc for wife?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Dec 7, 2009.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Looking to get my wife a decent pc for xmas. All she does is email/web surf and facebook. Not looking to build her one, would like to just get a dell, etc type box. No need for a monitor unless it's dirt cheap. She already uses my old 20" ultrasharp LCD.

Was hoping to get a sub $300 pc if possible. Found one on dell outlet for a hair over. Think it is $329.

Operating System
    Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
    Memory 4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz (4 DIMMs)
    Hard Disk Drive 500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
    System Color Piano Black
    Dell USB Entry Keyboard
    125V Power Cord
    No Floppy Drive
    Optical 2-Button Mouse
    No Modem
    Processor: AMD Athlon II X2 215 (2.7GHz, 1MB)
    Software Upgrade
    Windows Live
    Microsoft Works 9.0
    64BIT Operating System DVD
    64BIT Operating System CD
    Chassis Type
    Mini Tower
    Base
    Inspiron Desktop 546 MiniTower
    Media Bay 16X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability

I like that it has Win7 and comes with the discs. 4GB Ram is plenty. Not sure about the cpu. I am an intel user so I don't know where the above cpu compares to an intel alternative.

Advice on above system or links to other comparable deals?

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

get a Dell Studio Hybrid from the Outlet

3. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

quick google search reveals that a new version of Dell, would be $500. SO you're saving something.
    Honestly though, 1/2 TB hard drive, 4GB ram...
    modern chip (its less than 3 months old!), even though its the entry level of the range.....

I'd buy it..considering your wife's needs (my wife practically does the same, I'm getting a slightly better one for her, $500, with intel E5300, 6gb ram, win 7 home premium, 1TB HDD) Best buy is worth looking at, they have Hewlett Packards, which are generally overpriced, and gateway computers (what I as a chrissy present) at the level your looking at... Dell isnt always the cheapest, but often it is.

Athlon II X2

• » K10 microarchitecture
    • » Budget CPU
    • » Dual core
    • » Up to 3 GHz
    • » Up to 1MB L2 cache per core
    • » No L3 cache
    At this time (October 2009) the ADX215OCK22GQ is the slowest microprocessor from Athlon II X2 family. Nevertheless, The Athlon II X2 215 has better performance in memory intensive applications, and MMX/SSEx-enabled applications than the fastest dual-core processor based on K8 microarchitecture - Athlon 64 X2 6400+. Integer and floating-point performance of the 215 is slightly slower than the fastest Athlon 64 X2 CPUs (6400+, 6000+). The closest match from Athlon X2 family for the 215 is 7750 or 7750 Black edition. Both processors, Athlon II X2 215 and Athlon X2 7750, run at 2.7 GHz frequency, and have the same size of level 1 and level 2 caches. Although the 215 has enhanced core and support for DDR3 memory, it lacks level 3 cache that is present in 7750 microprocessor.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Wait... How the hell do you know what his wife "needs" since he never said anything? Is she planning on watching video on it in 1080P? 'Cause if so she might get slowed down by sites like hulu with that system.

My point is this, what is she going to actually use it for?

5. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

here,,,,

6. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

4gb ram, 2.7mhz dual core, 64 bit OS? slowed down?

I doubt it...

considering she probably aint gonna fill it with junk either...

7. OniMinion

Right, web surf...

Ok, more clearly. Say she uses that system with a monitor at 1080P, or outputs to a Plasma at 1080P when watching a movie off of Netflix, Hulu or Southpark (just examples)... At their "high-def" resolutions on a 1080P display here screen with "jump" with low frame rates. It's still safe to say that she's surfing the web though. If she goes to YouTube and clicks on HD version of her favorite music video - assuming she's runing on a nice display with high-res - she'll again have poor frames per second... hence my question what does she do online?

8. OniMinion

Do you see Nvidia or ATI posted anywhere in there?

Nope, I'm guessing it's a generic integrated GPU - and don't forget that most FPS are from the GPU, not the CPU.

9. White Stormy

10. OniMinion

11. White Stormy

my brother has one. only areas where it's lacking are hard drive size and gpu performance, but the gpu is fine for even most 1080p wvc1 content. hulu/netflix run without a hitch. it's silent and fantastic. the dell wireless keyboard and mouse connected instantly out of the box with no fuss, and the keyboard is quiet and way more comfortable than my logitech bluetooth MX1000 combo which disconnects constantly for no reason. I will never homebuild another computer.

Zino HD outdoes it in both hard drive and gpu, though, and comes with Win7 native instead of making you upgrade (should be free) from Vista on your own

12. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

What about a netbook?
    Those things are dirt cheap. I see them all the time for the $300-$400 price range.

Or you could spring for a full flegded (but cheap) laptop. Doubles as a DVD player/viewer. My wife thought the laptop was a waist of money till we took our first vacation with it.
    It rained one evening, we went to blockbuster, picked up 2 movies and watched them in the tent.

That won her over.

13. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

ok gone throiugh the dell website

the closest chip I can find for that desktop is:

AMD Athlon™ II X3 425 (2.7GHz, 1.5MB)

computer comes with Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200 Graphics

which is goign to cover watchign Hulu!!!
    although no mention IS made of 1080p, as mention is made of 20 in flat panel....

So all in all...
    brand new, base price, no frills with 4GB ram, 500 GB HDD and the above processor...
    thats $458 plus tax, brand new....

14. negative zero

negative zero New Member

That Inspiron Zino HD looks cool. Never seen them before. It's 400 and a little more than I wanted to spend but I'll consider it.
    Any known coupon codes out now?

The hybrid would be great but it's ~$500. Not really wanting to go that high.

I'll look at some of the other suggestions as well.

Also to add a few things. I don't care about hard drive size. Anything will be fine. She has a 250GB external that i will reuse and she can alway access my 1TB external through the network.

I never mentioned 1080p :hsugh: She might watch the occasional youtube video or those corny jibjab type videos. No "real" games, no movies, no dvd/blu ray. And she plays those embarrassing facebook type games :ugh:

15. White Stormy

Hybrid is only available right now with Vista (though it should include a free upgrade to win7), but you can get them in the Outlet and there are often 15-20% off coupons that work there

Zino HD just came out so unless they have a sale or coupon leading up to christmas, I wouldn't expect any deals right now

they had it as cheap as $180 last week, so you may have just missed out

16. mr cheese

mr cheese New Member

you go throught the zino on the website though

and it still costs more (over $450)if you upgrade the memory, chip, HDD etc...