inexpensive high performance tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by p924, Aug 10, 2007.

1. p924

p924 New Member

I'm leaning towards 215/50 for my 16" wheels. I don't care about Noise at all. All I care about is grip and tread wear. I drive really hard and corner to the limits when the road is fun.

From a search on tireRack for that size, I came up with these 2 for under 100:

Avon Tech M500
    Dunlop Direzza DZ101

the avon has a higher speed rating Z vs. the Dunlop V. But I read a couple of complaints about the Avon wearing out quickly. The reviews on the Dunlop look good but I want to know if anybody has an opinion on how good the grip is (maybe compare to AVS ES 100).

I have Yoko AVS ES 100's on my other car and I've been happy enough with the performance and tread wear. It is a tradeoff. I would like to have max performance but I can't afford to be replacing tires that often.

any suggestions on other inexpensive performance tires?

2. BavarianMotorWe

BavarianMotorWe New Member

A very cheap tire, possibly found on tires.com, are the falken ze-912 wich replaced the 512's. I run yoko's too and I am a corner fanatic and I have noticed that they wear a little bit more then the falken 512's I used to run.

Safecar.gov has very good tire ratings. Make sure you check all the options out. Good luck!

3. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

Kumho MXs
    Falken Azenis rt615s

Not sure if available in your size but both are superior to the es-100s. For the street I might go with the Azenis, for the track I prefer the MXs.

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a V or Z rated tire that doesn't wear out too quickly. It's the nature of the beast. The higher the speed rating, the softer the rubber compound, the faster the tire wears out. As for a relatively inexpensive performance tire, I've always had good luck with Kumhos. The ASX's wear pretty well, and grip really well.

5. Have you actually used both on track? I'm curious, as I'm trying to decide between them. I know the 615 gets better reviews for autocross use, but I've heard that the MX deals with heat better when lapping on an actual track.

6. p924

p924 New Member

yeah. I just want the most grip I can get that will last me between 30-40k. Thanks for the tips. I have to do some research. The car has 205/55 on it now. I just wanted to go a bit wider 215/50, I know there are less available at the 215 size.

so nobody has any experience with the Dunlop Direzza DZ101?

7. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I've been tracking the MXs all year, and by track I mean my M3 has seen the track 8 days so far this year. I've never ran the 615s myself, however I have gazillion friends who have, including instructors. The Azenis get greasy fairly fast at the track.

8. djsqiigles

djsqiigles New Member

hankook seems to have good tires.

but I run toyo t1R's on my miata.