A&P indoor photography: sheet metal

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RochesterRed, Jul 13, 2002.

1. RochesterRed

RochesterRed Guest

:uh: I'm an idiot ... I've had this problem for a couple weeks now, and totally didn't think to post in this forum.

I'm a systems/software/etc. guy. One of my clients does HVAC sheet metal fabrication. As such, we need to take photos of their fittings, which can be galvanized, galvanneal, or stainless. for the website, we need to take photos of the ductwork and fittings.

due to the nature of the material of the subject, any flash has horrid effects on the shot quality, so I picked up a couple clamp lamps with a few different wattage bulbs, lighting the fittings indirectly off the white walls of my office, with a black backdrop behind the fittings.

the improvement over the digi cam's flash was about a million percent ... but still not good enough, not without a ton of time-expensive photoshopping.

can anyone offer some tips or guidance?

thanks in advbance.
  2. car54

car54 Guest

dulling spray... it'll take the shine that kills right out. my can is about 20 years old made by krylon but it works great.
  3. RochesterRed

RochesterRed Guest

4. LS20

LS20 Guest

just shoot it w/o the flash... use a tripod... and set the whitebalance to tungsten
  5. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Dec 19, 2001
    longer shutter

open up the apeture

use tripod and no flash
  6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

Apr 29, 2002
    get a umbrella and flash it off that first...

you got the right idea wiht hot lights, try getting a box or an umbrella to disperse the light even more...

what everyone has suggested with leaving the shutter open longer will work great too
  7. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

Dec 19, 2001
    or just set up some lights around that area, and do long exposure pics.
  8. RochesterRed

RochesterRed Guest

thanks for all the input.

I think one of the two cams available has adjustable shutter speed, I'll look into taking advantage of it. :)