A&P Indefinite Road Trip, need packing advice. v. photo and video (Jcolman?)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by redna, Jun 21, 2009.

1. redna

redna New Member

So, I've got some big plans coming up. I've sold both of my businesses and stopped doing photography. I got rid of my house, found homes for my dogs, dumped my girlfriend, and got rid of about 90% of my belongings....

I'm currently living with my mom. BUT there is a very good reason as to why...

I leave in 3-4 months for an indefinite road trip. I do not know how long I will be gone, but plan on staying in single locations for approximately 1 month at a time.

Along this road trip I plan on filming a documentary type reality based web series, and taking as many photos as I can. Most of this will have to be done a la SurvivorMan type recording as it will be me and my Xterra.

My question is this: what are my absolute NEEDS for this trip? I need to pack as light as possible because I'll also have living necessities that I'll need to include.

My pack list thus far is:

Sony DCR-SR1 HD vid cam (main cam)
    - adapter lenses for wide and filters
    Sanyo CG10 HD (720P) cam (junk cam for riskier shots)
    Sony HC-32 SD cam (used as a recording body mostly for the helmet cam)
    Xtreme Recall 640 line helmet cam setup (lipstick cam for extreme stuff)
    Home Brew video light - battery opperated... ugh.

Nikon D300
    Nikon 10.5mm
    Nikon 17-55 2.8
    Nikon 70-200 2.8
    Nikon 18-200 (walk around stuff)
    Nikon 50 1.8 + reverse ring for macro (just in case)
    (2) SB-800
    (1) SB-600
    Misc filters and batteries, etc.

Bogen 3021 tripod with 3030 head
    Currently looking for another cheap tripod for the other cams
    Window suction mounts
    Gorilla pod

That's all I've got from memory...

Things to consider, I am NOT made of money so I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. I know I'll need things in the video lighting section (have a work around if need be)

I will be staying in each place for roughly a month. I will have access to electricity most of the time (not staying in the Xterra except in a few places).

My goals are to make a semi professional looking end product. I'll be doing a video blog, random teasers to promote my site, and a documentary of about 2 episodes a month. On top of that I would like to incorporate as many photos as I can for the blog and potentially make a photo book once my trip is over.

Thoughts?

2. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Not to be a dick, but what makes you think people are going to want to watch what you're making? What kind of places are you going to be staying at, ect?

3. johan

johan Active Member

personally I'd ditch the big Nikon glass, get a 35 1.8 and leave it more or less glued to the camera.

And a G10 for walkaround stuff instead of the 18-200 / D300 combo.

4. redna

redna New Member

It's a valid question.

I suppose the short answer is that I don't care if anyone watches or not... mostly I'm just doing this for me. I've pretty much worked my fingers to the bone and I'm only 27 years old. I'm burned out and realize that the path that I've taken so far has made me plenty of money and yielded very little in the way of happiness. Thus, I'm done working for money.... I'm working for happiness now.

I have always wanted to travel and see the world, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't plan on being a tourist though. I mostly plan on doing adventure type activities in each location. Mountaineering, scuba diving, kayaking, gold prospecting, abseiling, paragliding, skydiving, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I plan on integrating the above with some of the things that each location is known for. My goal is to immerse myself in the culture of each place I stay and find the treasures that are often overlooked.

As far as whether people will watch, well I have a very stout springboard of traffic to tie into as both of my previous businesses were internet marketing companies, along with my current blog traffic, my email list of 44233 and all of my friends and family. And of course OTAP :bowdown:.

But, if in the end, no one watches and I return home broken, battered, dirt poor, with only my memories to show for it.... well then it will be 100% worth it to me.

I've got nothing holding me down for the first time in 10 years. No roots. No responsibilities... and I have an incredible opportunity for me to change my life completely.

Long winded, sorry....

Cliffs: I don't care if people watch, but i think they probably will.

5. redna

redna New Member

Hmm... you make a half way decent point... Although a lot of my travels will be spent outdoors. You think a G10 would be a good enough nature/wildlife type camera?

It would be damn convenient to hang off my pack while hiking or climbing though...

Decisions, decisions :noes:

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I think it's awesome what you're doing, man, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Just remember: it's story that matters most. If you can tell a good story people will watch. Good luck.

7. AmosBanks

AmosBanks New Member

Good luck dude. I work with a guy who up and split to walk across the country to raise money for the Pat Tillman charity. He's back now and he looks like he's at peace with the world.

Where are some of the first places you want to visit?

8. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Cool. Good luck man, it sounds like fun!

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I'd probably only take the DSLR with the 18-200 and call it a day.

The other video equipment, well, i'm sure you know more than I do but i'd keep it minimal as well.

it's great to document a trip, but it's better to live it instead. photos are for showing others. If you spend more time photographing rather than living in the moment, you'll be more disappointed in the long run.

10. UnNakedChef

UnNakedChef 2jz Sackrider Holder

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I salute you sir. Go. Find yourself and enjoy the adventure. As for video gear, take whatever you're most comfortable with. Don't worry too much about specs, etc. If you like it and know how to use it, that's the most important thing.

Send us updates and let OT know where you are and what you're doing. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm jealous.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Why not I would probably follow his adventures :dunno: its sounds like a really cool idea I bet a lot of people wish they could just drop everything and wander the world for a while...if I could afford it I would do it in a second

Do you plan to set up a website or something to post pics and vides along you travels?

13. redna

redna New Member

That's kind of what I figured. For the most part I'm not too much of a measurebater but I wanted to make sure that I would have everything I needed... Thanks for taking a look. :wiggle:

Thank you! :big grin: Yeah, I plan on having a site that will have a blog, an image gallery, forums, "audience participation", and an episode archive for people to watch each "episode" as I go. I'm still working out all of the kinks and trying to figure out what exactly I want to do though. But yes, there will definitely be a site for people to follow me along this adventure.

I was actually thinking that I'd try and meet up with as many people as I could along the way and have them show me around their home town or show me a hobby of theirs if they wanted or something... I dunno. Think Dirty Jobs kind of. I show up, you and I go surfing or scuba diving for megaladon teeth or something, you very lightly pitch your company or website or something and get a feature spot on my site. Most importantly though, I get to meet as many cool people as I can.

Just another one of my many ideas that I'm throwing around for this... :x:

I saw one of those in a dive shop the other day and I liked it quite a bit! I didn't get a chance to play with it too much but I was actually thinking about going back to give it a better test run in a couple of days. I LOVE the fact that it's waterproof to 3m for 60min... That will no doubt come in handy...

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've thought about this as well. I don't want to become such a slave to this project that it becomes "work" for me. But at the same time, I'd like to make this as memorable for me as I can, while providing others a little bit in the way of seeing my adventure.

I've tossed the idea around of hiring a film student to follow me around from time to time when I'm in each spot or something, but when I'm in small places like Carbondale, CO I don't know that I can find anyone.

Larger places like Seattle, WA should be easy enough to find someone to be the camera man though... I would think...

thank you sir :)

He walked across the country? wow.. That's pretty cool actually! I'm hoping to end up with a similar type of result.

Some of the places that I'd like to see (in no particular order) are: Seattle, WA; Carbondale, CO; Sandpoint, MO; Grouse Creek, UT; Salt Lake City, UT; Aspen, CO; Monterey, CA; Vegas; Portland, OR; Portland, Maine; Atlantic Beach, North Carolina; Cordova, Alaska; Jacksonville, Florida; Loreto, Baja California Sur, in Mexico, and a whole slew of other places.

I'd like to eventually get a bunch of people to suggest places for me to go. Audience participation will be strongly encouraged. ;)

Thanks man, I agree about the story part... That's one of the things that I don't really want to plan though. As stupid as it sounds, I'd like to live the story and not really know the ending... maybe that is the story... who knows.

14. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I second the idea of keeping it simple not because of the heft of carrying stuff around, but due to the spirit of the trip.

15. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

That sounds awesome keep us informed :bowdown:

should def add places like the grand canyon, yellowstone park, and a few east coast spots like boston, ny, philly, dc to the list

16. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

i'm in to watch. this sounds badass. :cool:

17. tenplanescrashing

I agree...a guy did something very similar, though only a month long, on another forum I was on. It was very cool to follow and see the things he did. But of course, he just had a simple point & shoot and did no video. He did have an in-camera panoramic feature which was very cool!

18. redna

redna New Member

Yeah, I've been rethinking my gear a little and cutting some weight here and there.

The photo stuff shouldn't be too much bulk... but the video stuff is going to get rather bulky.

Maybe I should trade the Xterra in for a FJ Cruiser.... :noes:

Most certainly. I will definitely be hitting up places like the grand canyon. I figure I owe the GC that at least. I've lived in AZ for 27 years and only been there 2 times. haha. I was thinking about doing a trip down to Havasu Falls actually.

Thank you sir. :big grin: I'll keep everyone updated once I get the site launched. It'll still be a little bit though. I'm working on one more project before I can get going on this site.

Have a link to that by chance? I'd like to check it out. :x:

19. tenplanescrashing

It was a while ago, but i'll see if it can be dug up.

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I was thinking about doing something like this... except doing it over in Europe. I still would really like to try it, just need to save more money first.

If you make your way through Albuquerque, NM, let me know. There's a lot of hiking and stuff to do here. It's not that extreme, but whatever.

http://www.brandonobrien.com/gallery/index.php?catId=36

21. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

I'm jealous, if you come through baton rouge/New Orleans, drop me a line.

22. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Reminds me of the move 'Into the Wild'

Good Luck

23. tenplanescrashing

It has since been purged from the forum i'm on, but he may have posted it on another forum as well.

24. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

So where did you make all this great money?

25. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

Slangin' rocks yo!