indash = subs won't work...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hawtteg, Dec 23, 2008.

1. hawtteg

hawtteg New Member

here's the rundown: panasonic CQ-VD7005U indash, sony 2 channel amp, 2 10inch subs.

i just bought the indash and on it, there is RCA outputs for each of the 4 interior speakers, however for the sub output there is only 1 RCA output. aparantly i need a mono amp. the settings on the deck have the sub output turned on.

i thought i can run a Y splitter off of the one rca sub output to my RCA's running to the back and plug that into the amp, but that doesn't work, amp is turned on by the remote but no sound thru the subs.

now if i plug in the amp RCA's into a pair of the RCA's ment for the front speakers, i get bass thru the subs, however it has highs coming thru them too which is no good.

aparantly i need a mono amp, however my brother had it working thru the sub output when he had everything installed on his car. do i need to bridge the amp to get this to work? (i have no idea how to do that) and if so, then do i just run 1 rca from the sub output into perhaps the R input on the amp?

i'm lost.

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

run it off the rear rca outputs. Many head units that I have played with have limited control of what sound is outputed to the subwoofer channel. on my panny I can only choose 3 freqs that the low pass filter outputs but when I use the rears I am able to use the lowpass on the amp and it allows much greater tuning ability and also allows the low pass filter to be set to 225hz rather than 150hz like my headunit(I have 6.5" speakers all arround and they have a spot where they just don't make any good sounds but my 10" rockford p2 sounds good at that range so I use it)(screw you if you think that is too high for my sub)

yeah just try rear output. and if you are using the rear output there should be a passthrough on any amp you have to loop 2 amps together.

3. hawtteg

hawtteg New Member

i hear ya, that's how i have it set up now, the only thing is that i have no controll over the subs, well i do, but it also controlls the rear speakers aswell; so if i don't feel like listening to too much bass and fade out the subs, i'm pretty much only listening to the front speakers; OR, if i want more bass, i can't turn up the subs because then the rear speakers get too much bass and sound like shit. is my only option to go out and buy a mono amp? i don't really want to do that because i just bought this sony 2chan. to replace my 4 chan. i had powering my subs with my old deck.