Incredibly slow transfer speed between hard drives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Runescaper, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

When I try to transfer files between my two hard drives I get extremely low speeds. It's taking 10 minutes just to transfer 140MB. However, this slowdown only occurs when I'm moving files between the two hard drives. If I'm burning a CD/DVD, for example, the speeds are all fine no matter which hard drive the file is coming from. Why might speeds be so low ONLY when going between the two drives? They're both on the same IDE ribbon, not sure if that would have anything to do with it. :dunno:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Yeah that's a bad idea. I didn't think it would slow it down as much as you're seeing, but I guess it does. Is one hard drive a lot older (slower) than the other? What motherboard chipset are you using?

3. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

Both hard drives are about the same age and I think they're the same speed. One is a 120GB that came with the computer and the other one is a 200GB that I bought a few months later. The motherboard is a VIA P4PB 400-FL with p4X400 chipset.

If I put a hard drive on the same IDE ribbon as a CD/DVD writer would I then notice the same slowdown when burning discs?

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

VIA chipset. Strike 1. Make sure you have the latest drivers. I think they "fix" and update them every couple of days or so it seems. Any time you use both devices on the same ribbon cable at the same time, you're going to have a slowdown. So you want to keep your most frequently used devices on separate cables. Back in the old days, I'd have to look in device manager to make sure DMA was enabled on both IDE channels but I haven't thought about that in so long, I don't know if it even applies anymore.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Having the HDDs on the same IDE chain is just fine.
    Putting a HDD on the same IDE chain as a CD/DVD drive would hurt the performance of the HDD.

Defragged at all?

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Make sure the IDE channels are set to DMA mode and not PIO.

7. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

Actually, that's the whole reason I was moving files around. I didn't have a lot of space on my main drive and I wanted to defrag it, so I moved several large files to my other drive to, hopefully, make the defrag process go smoother. I'll see if the speeds increase at all after defragging.

8. vcm

vcm Guest

9. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, so the guy made a crappy photochop. That's a reason to not help him? Everybody knows the Off-Topic forum is a different world from all the other fora combined, anyway. Get out of my forum where I try to help people and go back to your pissing contest.

- - -

Connect your OS hard drive and your CD burner to the same cable. Then connect your media hard drive to a separate cable. If you have a second CDROM drive, plug it in alongside your data hard drive.

That way you'll have the full bandwidth of each of your two IDE buses at your disposal when you transfer files from one hard drive to another, or from your data hard drive to your CD burner, or when you use your CDROM to install programs to your OS hard drive.

11. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

Thanks, I'll try that. :bigthumb:

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

you have the 80 wire ribbon cables right?

i was running on 40 wire ribbon cables and i noticed a massive slowdown

13. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

I'm not sure which I have. Would it say on the cable?

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Probably not. You'll have to count the wires. Either one will have the same number of holes on the connector end but the actual number of wires in between can be either 40 or 80.

15. deusexaethera

Yeah, the faster IDE hard drives use 80-wire cables. The extra 40 wires just serve to absorb the magnetic radiation from the wires that actually connect to anything, so as to keep the signal cleaner.

Basically, a 40-wire cable looks like it has a lot of wires, but you could count it if you wanted to, and an 80-wire cable makes you say "fuck it, I'm not counting all those wires." :bigthumb:

16. Runescaper

Runescaper Guest

I kept losing my place when trying to count the wires, but I'm sure my cable has more than 40. So it must be 80. :o

17. deusexaethera

See? That's what I'm talking about. :big grin: