Increasing wrist flexibility for olympic lifts

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by C4, Oct 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

[​IMG]

Whilst doing the standard cleans, or even front squats etc, as you can see in the photo the wrists are bent way back. For me, this is pure agony because my wrists seem like they wont bend far enough..

Yes i know it seems obvious that i need to stretch, but I have been doing that for quite some time now and no real improvements have allowed me to get any better..

I have tried placing plates on my hand as it is in the bent position, with the weight on my fingers to stretch it out..any other suggestions?

This really hinders my training :/

2. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

just keep using the clean grip more. for front squats etc. the more you do it, the more accustomed you will become and your wrists will naturally become more flexible.

3. Riconosuave

Riconosuave New Member

Same problem for me. I can't even get close to that position. I end up supporting all the weight on my wrists. With my wrist bent back, the back of my hand is still a good 2-3 inches from my shoulders/delts. I would like to do cleans, but until I can get to that position, I can't go heavy at all, or I risk serious injury to my wrists.

4. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

elbows out?

5. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

there was some info on this on marunde muscle, lemme see if i can dig it up

6. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

Tony, really good advise.

How often would you advise stretching the wrists, and what would you do to stretch them?

Thanks

Really, I would just attempt to rack a barbell with 135 and hold for a few seconds, and then grab the top of the fingers and pull them back with the opposite hand......maybe repeat this 5 or 6 times, and I would do it as often as need be, you can do it after every workout at the gym......and then once you can use the clean grip, you probably won't even have to stretch, just use it to PP, front squat, clean, etc and you should maintain the flexibility, even if you gain large amounts of size.

==================

Another guy mentions that he would just do timed holds with 220kg in the proper position.

I'll keep digging, I remember there being better info in some thread over there

7. 2000GT

2000GT Active Member

I broke my scaphoid and tore my flexor tendon in my left wrist becuase of bad flexibility and too much of an ego whilst doing a hang clean.

Be carefull and make sure to stretch them!!

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

with any olympic lift position its all about forcing yourself into those positions and holding. alot of people try to do front squats with their whole hands on the bar when its best to just use two fingers on it (index and middle finger) for some slight stabilization. thatll also teach you to keep your elbows up and arch hard throughout the lift.

9. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

some good suggestions here - thankyou!

10. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

Yeah I tried doing front squats for the first time the other day and when my wrists wouldn't bend like that some big broly dude so me to try crossing my arms (while keeping elbows up) and balancing the bar on my delts.

It still wasn't comfortable though :hs:

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I've just been stretching my wrists three times a day. I dislocated my shoulder pretty badly doing a takedown, so I'm going to stick to front squats for a little while until I can rehab fully.

12. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

I usually still manage to get three fingers on the bar.

Sometimes the grip (or lack) makes it difficult though when un-cleaning it back to the floor.

13. GOGZILLA

give it a little extra pop at the very top of your last rep so that the bar kind of hops up off your shoulders that will let you get a full grip on it and move your hands out some. thats how most lifters regrip transitioning from the clean to the jerk

14. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Gracias, Gogz.

15. kidbv2

kidbv2 New Member

16. TQ

TQ OT Supporter

17. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

I did this last night at the gym and yes this does help a bit.

Question for those in the know re: rules for weightlifting..

If you were doing say the C&J, and cleaned the weight up to your shoulders.. does the jerk have to be immediate or could you do the little 'pop' and then the jerk legally?

I cannot remember watching closely last time the olympics/games were on..

I did racks last night and it seemed to get better.. i think i just need to do a much more intense warmup/stretching routine before attempting to do the lifts next time

thanks for the help people - much appreciated

18. GOGZILLA

you can wait as long as you want in between the clean and the jerk. you can also do the pop legally like i said almost all lifters do that for the regrip in between. what you cant do is dip down as in break the knees without immediately following with a jerk. no double pumps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.