Increasing pc program crashing/dropping

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Nacho, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

So it seems of late that the computer i built back in december is haveing a rough time with games. It never had a problem w/ Half Life 2, CS:S, or any of the other steam games.

I'd gotten BF2 not too long ago, and it'll generally run fine, but it would periodically crash out of the game. I figured it was a problem w/ the game for whatever reason. But then with the BioShock demo, it refuses to get through the loading screen just before the underwater elevator surfaces in teh town (if you played it, you'll know what i'm talking about). And now it just locked up on the World in Conflict demo.

What could be the problem here? Some of the main forum users thought i had bad ram, or not enough ram.

I know this is a stability problem, but if it's due to a lack of performance on the computer's specs, would overclocking it help any? Right now i've not tweaked it at all.

Partial build list from last december. Haven't touched it since.
    Desktop Memory
    1 CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024-6400C4 - Retail
    Model #:TWIN2X1024-6400C4

Intel-compatible Motherboards
    1 GIGABYTE GA-965P-DQ6 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    Model #:GA-965P-DQ6

Power Supplies
    1 Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail
    Model #:TP3-650

Processors
    1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail
    Model #:BX80557E6400

Video Cards
    1 XFX PVT71PUDP3 GeForce 7900GS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 EXTREME Video Card - Retail
    Model #:pVT71PUDP3

2. mb330ci

mb330ci OT Supporter

I'm having a different type of crashing issue, but is it a BSOD or freezing? I've been able to nail down my issue with codes listed from the BSOD if that's any help. Search the codes and it will tell you the issue.

Freezing? Check the min specs, virus, conflicts etc route and rule out those items.

3. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

No BSoDs yet. Either the program drops and i get the "send error report to MS?" or in extreme cases, the whole system restarts.

I had World of Conflict freeze once, but it was after about 20 minutes of gameplay, so I assume it's not a not totally a not meeting system requirements issue.

I ran a full virus scan and spyware check with nothing unusual found. :-/

4. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

WiC's system specs

Word in Conflict System Requirements

* CPU Single-core: 2. 0 GHz or faster (2. 2 GHz for Windows Vista™)
    * CPU Dual-core: Any Intel® or AMD®
    * RAM: 1 GB (1.5 GB for Windows Vista™)
    * Hard Drive: 2.0 GB available hard drive space
    * Video: 128 MB video RAM, DirectX® 9.0c compatible (GeForce® 4 MX, Radeon® 8500, 9200 not supported)
    * Sound: DirectX® 9.0c compatible
    * Input: Keyboard and mouse
    * Internet connection: Cable/DSL

BioShock (that also plays some, but crashes out at that one certain part every time.)
    Minimum system requirements

* CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
    * System RAM: 1GB
    * Video Card: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
    * Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    * Hard disc space: 8GB free space

I just remembered that my sound card is integrated to teh motherboard, and i've got the min memory requirements. Could the shared system memory when i'm at the minimum be causing the problem?

5. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

6. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

If it was the memory im sure you would be crashing doing just about anything on the computer. Is your video card overheating? Is your processor overheating?

7. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I don't see why they would be. IIRC, the c2d's stock cooling is capable of significant overclocking, and I'd think the videocard would be alright.

What would be a good way to tell? I think it's got some sort of temp monitoring system, but I don't know how i'd look at it.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

For the video card go into desktop properties, then the settings tab, then advanced, then the 7900GS tab, then click on temperature monitoring and there you go. Go into a game and minimize real quick and see what it's running at.

9. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I'll check that next time i'm at home.

Thanks. :)

10. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

it's 61 deg C just running windows. That seems excessive.

It only goes to 64 deg playing BF2.

Disk useage is 100%, and memory was at like 90%. :o

11. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Mabye the video card memory is overheating. Their isnt a sensor for that. :dunno: Try putting in a different video card and see what happens.

12. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

I don't have another one.

My old computer fried, and took out everything. I don't think that the old card will even plug into the new board.

13. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Ordered teh RAM. :o

If it still crashes out, i guess i'll be looking at a new video card. :o

If it crashes out after that, I'll be throwing it out the window and buying a 360. :x

14. mrj

mrj New Member

You're buying things without even testing?

1; Run memtest overnight to see if there are memory errors.

2; Run a video stress test to see if the videocard overheats. Make sure all of the fans including video card are spinning, watch internal case temperature - google what normal temperatures are.

Theoretically you should be able to get to a menu and choose options in any game regardless of not being up to par, because you're not engaging the engine up to that point.

3; the 79XX series of nvidia were/are unreliable as fuck. I've RMA'd my 7900GT twice, and it's been fucking up over the past 2 years, but I gave up.

4; New ram, if not properly matched to your old ram, could just cause more problems.

Overclocking a crashing system is a horrible idea.

Run the tests, reinstall the video drivers (COMPLETELY REMOVE THE OLD, google how-to), and if that doesn't fix things, reinstall the OS. Then worry about replacing hardware.

15. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

How does one run memtest w/ no floppy drive? :o

All the memtest stuff i saw was to make a bootable floppy and i don't have one on my computer anymore. :o

It's an older game, but the HL2 video stress test runs fine. I don't know if that's exactly what you're talking about here.

Menus aren't a problem, it'll usually crash out in-game.

I can't seem to find the normal operating temps for the card

Shit :hs:

It's 2 more gb, but the clocking on it is identical, down to the response times.

Old:
    Desktop Memory
    1 CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024-6400C4 - Retail
    Model #:TWIN2X1024-6400C4

New:
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
    Item #: N82E16820145034

Kinda figured. :hs:

Awww, i don't want to reinstall teh OS. :hs:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  16. mrj

mrj New Member

My motherboard has memtest right on the BIOS menu, but it's a high end board.

Try to boot to usb and put memtest on a flash drive.

17. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I seriously doubt if it's a memory issue.
    Or a cpu issue.
    Or a psu issue.

I would think more of a recent windows update, or maybe a program you installed is misbehaving.
    Do you have your windows cd?
    You could try the old file repair...

start > run > sfc /scannow hit ok, then drop your windows cd in it and wait for it to do it's thing.

Also, if those demos are being ran off of a cd, you might want to think about your burner maybe going bad.

18. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Both demos were downloaded, so they're running off the HDDs.

I'll try a windows reinstall without formatting first, as soon as i 'find' my Windows CD. :hs:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

fucking faggot, pay for your software.

20. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Put the new ram in, played through the bioshock demo perfectly fine.

However, I did notice that when i tried to watch any video after i'd played a game, the colors are all jacked up. Like, jacked up to the point that it's a mostly black screen and you can barely, if at all, make out a couple details of the picture.

edit: World In Conflict worked perfectly as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007