Increasing Flexibility

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Improvolone, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Last summer, I decided that for the first time in my life, I would touch the ground without bending my legs. I did it. Since, I've decided to improve my flexibility and my goal for this summer is to be able to do a split.
    I'm about two feet from being able to do a split. It may seem like alot, but I pulled off last summers goal. However, I think that this goal may be a tad more difficult.
    While I've yet to hurt myself, what are some precautions that I need to be taking?
    Are there any guides out there that are a good read?
    My current stretch to reach my mark is twice a day, I get on my back against the wall, hold my legs up, and drop them in a split as far as they will go. I then let gravity do its job for 10 mins. Then I slowly bring my legs back down.
    Help?

2. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

3. lauren

lauren Active Member

i assume you are talking center splits. if your gym has a dance barre use that. standing, feet parrell both hands on barre put one leg up (ankle resting on barre). you can then lean/slide into it, and hold, using your body weight to . keep knees straight, but dont lock em, dont stick your butt out (try to keep your whole body in one plane). if you cant get it up that high, there is usually a lower bar, or improvise.

4. Delay

Delay zero gravity

instead of holding the stretch for 10min straight, i would break it up into smaller chunks and spread it throughout the day. frequency is important in stretching. always make sure to warm up properly before stretching

5. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

for center splits the best way to train is by doing one legged stretches on a chair.
    simulate the motion exactly as it would be with 2 legs, and train the muscles/joints/tendons, etc to learn the position, then work it with 2 legs.

another good option is dynamic stretching -> one legged side swings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.