MMA increasing cardio while not actually doing cardio

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by joechunkybutt2, Nov 29, 2005.

1. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I know this is stupid, but I'm wondering of ways i can increase my cardio during class or work. Some ideas I had were taking deep breaths and holding them for a little bit. Not to actaully increase my cardio strength but maybe to increase my lung capacity. Do you think increasing lung capacity would translate into lasting longer without gassing during my training? Any ideas are appreciated.

I train two 2 hours sessions a week and i'm usually dead by the last 3/4 of the training. I want to be able to push it out the end. Just want to maximiize my workout instead of slacking when i'm hitting the bag or rolling with someone.

2. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i dont really think cardio has as much do with lung capacity as it has to do with your heart's strength. I think to increase cardio you have to do excercises that increase your heart rate. I really don't know a ton about this stuff though.

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

when your not in class, practice sprinting for short bursts of time. This will emulate the intensity of rolling with someone pretty well.

4. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

While this may be a good excercise, it is anaerobic...the opposite of what the poster is looking for.

Aerobic excercise is what you want my friend. Start swimming and running and riding a bike.
    Long distances and a decent pace will give you the results you want. It is NOT a short term thing though. It also goes against many types of strength training. You'll have great stamina, but you'll be sacrificing bulk.

5. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah that's like saying "hey I wanna be a badass grappler but I don't wanna take the time to hash it out on the mat. is there a shortcut?"

6. It will help you hold your breath underwater longer :ugh:

7. Sammo

Sammo New Member

fish oil