Incorporating mp3's into my dad's stereosystem *help*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mperor, Oct 21, 2005.

1. Mperor

Mperor Banned

I was thinking about building my dad a small computer that will fit in his stereocabinet that he can connect to wirelessly from anywhere in the house and play mp3s from. Here's his set up.

He has stereospeakers in every room and the back patio thats connected to his stereo in his den. However, right now he is using a 100 disc changer to listen to his music, which means that every time he wants to change the music he has to walk upstairs and use the remote for the cd changer.

I wanted to put a computer that is set up to run winamp and a vnc server in his stereo cabinet with a wireless card so he can connect to it from his laptop (which he carries everywhere with him) from anywhere in the house. I'd rip all his cds and put it on the hd of the box.

Can anybody see any pitfalls to this idea? Or anything better then vnc for the connection means or winamp for the mp3 player. I want to have a set up so that when he connects the interface is the entire screen and the buttons are huge. IS there a skin or plugin for this? Or is there a better program to use?

Thanks for the help guys :wavey:

2. CARETAKER

CARETAKER KANEDAAAA!!! OT Supporter

Hey there.. You can now get Windows Media Center Edition that adds some foolproofness to your installation. IIRC, you can also remote desktop to it, but I haven't done that yet. If you have MCE, you can set up shared folders, just like a regular networked machine, and play your music through MCE and wire that to your stereo installation (via regular coax or what have you). The plus on this side is that MCE has a decent and simple interface with large buttons that make playing music remotely very easy.

So if you have MCE installed on the main box, you can remote desktop into it from a laptop and use MCE to play all the networked music stored on any other machine in the house. I hope that makes sense! The other option that's not as pretty is to set up remote desktop on the laptop and the main box, and have winamp set up on the main box. Remote Desktop in Win XP (Pro) works great, and you won't need aftermarket VNC software to do this with. And you don't have to use MCE, it's just a prettier interface.

3. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

Personally I love the wireless laptop with VNC and winamp. Im sure you can set something that will increase the size but for searching for and listening to music winamp is cool. And VNC on a home wireless network is very fast.

Going with Windows media center is pointless I think. Especially since its another thing to pay for. I like to keep things simple. And the way your thinking should be fine.

Or at least I think so.

4. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

What about just getting an airport? That would let you run everything off of his laptop, without the need for a second box.

5. Maud'dib

Maud'dib It's always summer on the inside...

I picked up a dell optiplex GX150 a while back, painted it black and stuck it on its side in the entertainment center. it streams music, movies, and everything else from all the computers in my apartment to the set up in the living room. i used to run UltraVNC so i can access it from everywhere else, but i've since upgraded to WinXP and just use remote desktop.

cost me maybe a hundred bucks? oh, and if you're having problems networking to begin with, just start out with iTunes and it solves all your problems for you. I've since gotten all my networking problems straightened out and use winamp, but its an easy fix to begin with.

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If all he wants is mp3's, and you have a receiver with optical inputs, you are going about this the very expensive way. Buy an Apple Airport (as mentioned above), run a digital line from that to your receiver, install iTunes, and be done with it. Should cost you a little over $100.