SRS inconsistent work and pizza mind

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by black jesus, Apr 8, 2009.

1. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

I have a unique job where I work for the government only when there are active natural disasters, on a few specific programs. I've been working constantly for 3-years. Over the past 3-years, I've at my home roughly 35-days total, so about 10 days per year.

Considering I haven't been off very much over the last few years, I'm tired. I want to go to my apartment and see what's left of my friends. I want to take about a month off because I almost feel like I need it...but not like I need money.

As of today my office is closing at the end of the month and I have nothing lined-up, basically I'm laid off. I have about $12k in checking, but I don't know how long I'll go without work...if I ever work again. I put my toy-car up for sale today because its an easy way to make a quick $10k, it may be sold tomorrow. I wanted to take it to the track a few times next month on some pre-paid track time because I haven't been in 2-years, but I can't think of any better options than liquidating my stuff.

It will always be like this so I have to learn to relax and deal with the uncertainty, right? Coworkers deal with this well, but I can't seem to stop obsessing over the money and lack of a defined future. How do I relax and enjoy my time off, without constantly thinking about everything in my life unwinding? (or should I be freaked out?)

2. roddick

roddick New Member

If the uncertainty is bothersome, try to look for something more permanent? I would be thinking of the perks that the gov job gave me that i could apply to a reg job. Maybe security clearance, something of that nature that will help you out if you have one and land you a secure job.

Also, dont let it all hit you at the same time, it is too overwhelming. To me, it is good that you are obsessing over the money/what to do next/etc. That shows motivation to secure the next job.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

There is no such thing as uncertainty, everything is based on principles , emotions surround the effect of those principles. Hence what you are looking for is not never working again, just a 'different' type of job, i mean it almost looks as if you brandmarked yourself as 'im born as a penny and will never grow to be a dime' don't let yourself into allowing to listen to all that negative non-sense, just keep going for gold in your life. Be carefull not to become your own enemy by limiting yourself on what you can do. Look, choices create new realities. If you make a new choice you can create a new reality, and if you continue to do so until you find a situation in which you fit you can become happy. That's not just external but also count for internal happyness. Try to be a little open minded instead of doom preaching which negativity leads to nowhere. All is not that bad, and how are you going to reach your new job if you sell your car? Unless you have another car i wouldn't destroy the mobility under your own feet. Instead of selling it i would utilize it for your new job. Remember everything that you do or want to achieve in life requires a positive attitude.

4. Redbeard

Redbeard OT Supporter

How in the hell do you only have 12k saved up from 3 years of straight work?