Incline vs. Flat

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by link434, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. link434

link434 OT Supporter

Which first on chest day and why?

I am under the impression flat first results in more strength, incline results in bigger size. As backwards as that sounds

2. tbizzle

tbizzle you smoke that shit?

incline is hot right now. wait a few years and flat will be in again. :rolleyes:

3. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

4. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

whatever feels good bro, it's all broscience.

5. Oleh

Oleh New Member

why not just rotate from workout to workout ??

6. kendog

kendog Active Member

2 sets of each maybe

7. Tumbles

Tumbles New Member

my upper chest sucks so i incline first

8. deuceforty

deuceforty between rupture and rapture

i usually incline first because there are idiots filling every bench spot.

not too shabby, i can get incline 245x6, bench 275 x4 :hsd: ive noticed better chest and shoulder strength from starting with inclne

9. link434

link434 OT Supporter

"might be to heavy for me" lol

wow thx though this is a fucking good video. One thing that surprises me is this isn't the first time I've heard of or seen research on how good of an exercise the decline bench is for your chest, yet Pur's bodybuilding sticked routine only uses dips to work lower chest.

I'm going to start incorporating decline more.

10. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Credit goes to Sylva, he showed me the video first... But yeah, it's a great vid.

A lot of quality information about the bench press in there.

Declines have been a staple of mine for a while. After injuring a shoulder, flat bench terribly aggravated it. I switched the decline with NO PAIN, and never looked back. After my injury, 225 on the flat was excruciating. After several months of decline BB I was able to work myself up to 315 for reps 8-10 and 365 for 4 or 5 with no pain at all.
    My chest was never stronger than when I was using a combo of BB decline, BB incline, incline flies, and accessory work.

I've just about all but given up on flat BB now since my shoulder started hurting last month when I tried flat again. Yates states in the vid that "it's a shitty exercise" due to the stress it puts on your shoulder and elbows. He suggests decline instead.

11. link434

link434 OT Supporter

werd, I'm going to substitute decline for when I've been doing flat. Do not want shoulder injury, thx for sharing man

12. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, no problem.

Mind you, not everyone that flat benches will have shoulder problems... and I'm sure someone will eventually come in here and say that. But it certainly leaves you susceptible to injuries more than any other chest exercise, and as Yates said, almost everyone he knew with shoulder problems and pec tears did it while flat benching.

There are some good vids out there (mostly by Dave Tate) teaching how to bench properly. I followed this to a "T" after my injury, with perfect form and still experienced pain with heavier weight.

So yeah, flat isn't necessarily an injury sentence... but it makes it more likely, and if you're not powerlifting why make yourself more vulnerable to an injury like that.

13. link434

link434 OT Supporter

Yea, and I doubt I'm working with enough weight right now to injure my shoulder even. But, from what I've seen decline actually isolates the chest more so than flat, so it seems like a better choice.

That being said I do exercises like dead lift which aren't absolutely necessary and put me at a higher risk for injury. But flat bench seems unnecessary.

14. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, decline is going to create more isolation. Decline is mostly chest/triceps. Flat involves a lot more delt and lats, and with the way a lot of people bench, they are letting their delts control a good load of the weight.

Deadlifts, when done correctly, are actually a very beneficial exercise. It's probably the best movement for overall growth. As long as form is good, an injury in deadlifting isn't very likely, and you reap a lot of benefit from it.
    The flat bench on the other hand doesn't allow for much benefit over other, more safe chest exercises... so again, why do it?

15. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Flat BB is just plain bad for probably 8/10 people

16. BoypussY

BoypussY game over.

i start with db flat, then incline smith, then finish with some diesel db incline flys

BBBIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

17. link434

link434 OT Supporter

considering keeping flat just to let the weights know I aint fucking scared son, GET SOME

18. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Most people just don't do anything at all to keep their shoulders healthy. Even when most lifters get shoulder pain, they wait for the pain to subside, then go right back to doing the same shit they were doing up to when they got hurt.

19. NUDES

NUDES New Member

and 8/10 of those people (including posters in this thread) do not know much about prehabbing shoulders.

If you aint PLing I don't see the big deal in not doing flat BB. However, it is undeniable that most people have no idea how to keep their shoulders healthy. I spent a good amount of time per week (probably 15-20 mins each time in the gym, 10 mins off day) specifically prehabing shoulders. The result? Not a single bit of shoulder pain.

I also do a ton of rear delts, an abysmal shitload of it.

20. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I agree. I'd be willing to bet I do more pre-hab stuff for my shoulders than 90% of people too. And I probably have bigger rear delts than anyone on this forum:mamoru:. I still have occasional discomfort, but then again I no longer flat bench. For me, risk to benefit just doesnt make it seem worth it. just sayin yo

21. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Rear delts aren't what keep your shoulders healthy. If the rear delt is too strong for the rotator cuff it will cause anterior glide of the humerus during external rotation.

22. NUDES

NUDES New Member

Well THATS GREAT.

23. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I just want to look swole as fuck:wtc:

24. JohnBuuu

JohnBuuu New Member

-Doing incline first for me actually sent my flat bench through the roof. Finally let me break 405 on flat.

-If you think about it, practical strength wise, anytime you push anything in real life you are leaning forward. Incline simulates this.

-Doing rotator cuff exercises with a shoulder horn not only alleviated pain I was getting from flat bench, but added a couple pounds to the lift.

Dont be afraid to do inclines first. I found that within a month or two I was doing the same weight on flat bench as I was doing before, after doing my incline sets.

25. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Yeah, I'll admit, before my shoulder injury I did absolutely no prehab stuff and really didn't warm up my shoulders aside from a 135x10 set, lol.

After the injury I would spend a good 10min working with shoulder stuff before each workout though. It helped A LOT with keeping pain away from all my other lifts (OHP, DB press, decline/incline, etc...). But flat bench still bothered it after a few weeks despite the shoulder work :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.