Inacessible Files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JaJae, Sep 15, 2005.

1. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I know the rules and have read them. I'm not asking for any illegal advice that would infringe any copyrights. So please don't respond in such a manner so my thread doesn't get locked.

I have Windows XP. I just built a new computer and got a new harddrive. I'm running my old one as a slave. I transferred my Windows XP CD Key to the new windows setup on the faster drive.

I'm trying to access the my documents folder on the old harddrive and I am unable to for security reasons. I was wondering if there's a way around that through the administration settings or if I could just wipe the windows directory from that drive. I have the user/password for the account on that computer if that at all matters.

I tried setting the old drive back to the master, but Windows will not boot due to registration reasons. I don't use this drive for anything but storage. Any advice would be apprecitated.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  2. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

Assuming you didn't encrypt your documents folder on the old install, you could logon with a privileged admin acc't to 'take ownership' of the folder, then give your normal account full permissions to it.

rightclick the folder -> properties -> security ->advanced -> owner

make sure you check off the 'replace ownership of subobjects' box sot hat all of your documents are moved to the new permissions as well.

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

I don't see an advanced tab under sharing. I'm using XP Home if that matters here. Under general tab I clicked advanced and tried checking "folder is ready for archiving" and all files underneath. But I get an access denied error when trying to do so.

And I can't log into the windows on the old harddrive.

4. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

This can be done, thank you.