SRS In what ways do we allow depression?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Verdugo, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

Could lack of faith (belief in capability) and self-reliance be what is missing?

2. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

The guilt that rides you after being a dissappointment. <edit> And thinking that you could of done better when in fact there was nothing else you could of done.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Not doing anything with life.

4. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I assume you're talking about external factors of depression and not chemical imbalances in the brain.

5. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

Stopping a regular exercise regime causes a drop in endorphines which leads to "not feeling good". I know little if anything about cases in which people's chemistry are permanently affected in negative ways. But for those who suffer such conditions can at least rest assured that there really never was anything to be depressed about? Hmm...

6. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

I think one thing that could cause it, and we allow it (non-chemical imbalance related), is when we compare ourselves to others who seem to "have it all" and we put ourselves down for not achieving or having things that others in our same age group or status level have achieved.

I think we as a society spend too much time trying to outdo each other whether it be material possesions, position on the career ladder, or achieving certain milestones in life (i.e. moving out on your own, getting married, having children, retiring, whatever else you want to include here). Society tends to press on us to have achieved certain goals or obtain certain things by a certain age. The problem with that is not everyone is ready financially or emotionally for some of this things at those certain ages, and we insist on staying at the same level of the Joneses or better.

The result is we spend more time worrying about what everyone else is doing rather than focusing on our own goals and improvements, then we end up falling behind because we're too busy looking around at what everyone else is doing.....then we get depressed.

7. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

Good point. So what is stopping us from ignoring the unimportant things and becoming our own heros?

8. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Good point KatWoman. I think that is my problem.

9. element4all

element4all Active Member

:werd: it may seemawkward after being so depressed and haveing energy because you have something to always look forward to doing in a day

10. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

When we allow the wrong people/things/events to enter our lives, that's when we get into trouble, you need to be like a castle gate only allowing good people/things/events into your life. If you do things that are constructive and positive and make you happy most of the time, then you balance off towards happyness, or depression vice versa.

11. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

That's a good post right there. I would have to agree with you!

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Aaron Beck suggested that every psychological problem can be shown by 3 phrases (called a cognitive triad) which show the relation the person has with : himself, the world, the future. These cognitions are : "I am worthless, everyone hates me, and nothing will ever go well for me".

It kinda looks like learned helplessness ("why would I try something since I won't be able to change anything anyway").

I think it has a lot to do with giving meaning to its existence too, which might be why people with an objectively nice life will still suffer. It's nice to have money and all, but what does it mean for this person, how can he create a single and integrated narrative story of his life so that every aspects can have a significance. No one wants to see a bad movie where there are scenes that lead nowhere, they all have to be coherent with the general story of the film. If life has no meaning for him, why would the person be an active participant in it ? Why would he do something that's not for him ?

13. Verdugo

Verdugo New Member

Excellent point. Again, why is this hurdle so invinceable for many?

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

This is a mix between temperament (which is genetically influenced, and it's probably the "persistence" part of it, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperament) mixed with a good dose of environmental problems.
    There's also something called resilience which is just another way to say that one has good coping capabilities which might buffer frustration caused by an adverse environment.