In under 2 years, I've toasted the Focal 165CA's in my SS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Emfuser, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

User JW2 (who I still owe some tremendous favor to :bowdown: ) helped me install a system in my SS about 2 years ago. I went with Focal 165CA's all the way around, a Hifonix (shut up :squint: ) ZX8000 amp, a 10" sub, and have managed to blow all four of the Focals.

My car is LOUD (LS1, not cats, no mufflers :o ) so I've driven those speakers at a higher than average power, and I figure that's what has worn them so quickly. I can't afford to replace the set ATM, but does anyone here have some suggestions on what would make a good, similar sound quality, but sturdier replacement?

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

boston acoustics something or another

3. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Orion P6.2. what kind of tweeters do those fecals..er focals use? i'm too lazy to look it up. the orions have metal dome tweeter, but have 0, -3, -6 attenuation on the xover, and have the ability to "bi-amp" (pasive) the system. by "bi-amp" i mean that you can select to use one input for the system, or use seperate inputs for woofer and tweeter, and the capability is already in the xover. I have them in my firebird, and love them. thought they are under powered

5. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

any others? :hsd: