A&P In this time of recession I decided to adjust my rates

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Jcolman, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

[up by $500] I figured that I'm still well below the average in my area and dammit...I'm just too good to be charging anything less! :x:

2. Formula-95

Formula-95 2:32 PM 5-13-09 Never Forget, Hamburglar OT Supporter

nice!! you deserve it

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

You are too good! What's your rate now?

4. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

500 dollars :mamoru:

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

$1400 for 6 hrs. Up from a paltry $900.

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

thanks!!

7. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

For video footage?

8. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

God no. We're uber expensive for that.

This is for wedding photography.

9. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Sometimes I get jealous of the rates wedding photographers can charge, but then I just remember that I hate weddings.

Sports doesn't pay as well (unless you're a staff photographer for a large organization... I'm not aware of a lot of freelance sports photographers who command huge rates), but I enjoy it... Doesn't feel like work.

10. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I use to say the same thing about weddings. That I'd never shoot one. But the more I studied the work of wedding photographers, the more I realized how creative and challenging it was to shoot a wedding. Someone once said that a wedding photographer needed the skills of a portrait photographer, the reflexes of a sports shooter and the patience of a wildlife cameraman. They were right.

11. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I just don't like posing people and am TERRIBLE with names. Plus I get sweaty as hell while wearing any kind of dress clothes.

The thing I like about sports, is if for some reason I'm in a crummy mood, I can still go shoot an event and not talk to a soul if I so desire.

Weddings do pay a bit more / hour, but the increased stress and post-processing for me make it not worth it.... plus in order to shoot a wedding in the way that I feel a wedding should be shot, I'd still want 4 or $5,000 worth more gear.

I've shot one wedding professionally, and 3 weddings for family members (I was not the paid photographer at either of the three) and all of my family members said they liked my pictures far more than the pro's... however shooting family is much easier than getting a good emotion out of a stranger IMO.

12. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

that's cool. Not everyone is cut out for this kind of work. It's no reflection on the kind of photographer you are.

It takes an outgoing personality to be able to pose people and get along with every kind of bride, mother of the bride, drunk groomsmen, etc. There are times when I don't want to interact with people either but luckily for me, with my background in video/television, I've had to work with thousands of people over the years so it's no big deal for me to simply put on a smile and ask people to do this or do that. People want to be told what to do during a photo shoot, whether it's a wedding, portrait or engagement session.

I also get sweaty in formal attire but for weddings I wear black chinos and a nice black polo shirt or a more "formal looking" black long sleeve shirt. They don't show sweat. I also invested in some really comfortable black shoes.

I really enjoy the challenge of weddings. You have to be constantly thinking about the next shot, how you're going to light it, where to position yourself, etc. You only get one shot at getting it right. I guess I love the challenge of creating a great shot in not-so-great cirumstances.

13. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

Any specific reason why when America is in a depression and people are strapped for cash you are raising your prices?

I'm not criticizing by any means, just trying to understand your logic.

14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Several reasons. The primary one is I was priced way too low in the first place. It's hard to raise your rates once you've been branded as a "budget" photographer.

Second, I'm still on the low end of the scale and plan on raising my rates in the spring. I've got two weddings booked for April and another one I'll probably get as well. I want to eventually be in the $3500 range but I can't justify those rates with only two weddings under my belt.

Third, there will always be brides with money to spend, no matter what the economy does. I want to attract those kind of clients.

Fourth. I don't need the money to survive yet. I will in a few years so I need to get my rates up there. I can afford to lose some budget brides for now.

Fifth. It makes sense for me to begin to price myself more in-line with my skill set. I'm an experienced photographer (however I'm pretty new to digital photography but brides don't know that) and my rates should reflect my experience.

15. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

16. Tedrzz

Tedrzz New Member

works for me.

17. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

it's about perceived value.

18. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

This is an interstesting idea.

About 10 years ago, KFC (yeah the chicken place) was doing very poorly. they were at a loss of what to do, so they decided to simply raise their prices. They added no quality to the food, just a pike hike and people started buying it and believeing that if the price went up, the food got better and it worked. It is all perceived value.

besides wedding are never in an economic recession

19. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

$1400 for 6 hours isn't bad

20. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

for high end wedding photographers, it's not really, because their clients aren't hurting for money. but those of us who haven't yet established ourselves and cater to the middle of the road, and budget minded brides it is. Sadly, when someone tries to save money on a wedding it's usually the photographers that get cut first because they don't "wow" the guests when they show up like a fancy dinner, cake, or flowers do... but those things all get eaten, or wilt and die, but their pics last forever.:hs:

21. alexromo

alexromo New Member

weddings > sports

what kind of photo albums do you offer? thats where most of my overhead is

22. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Haven't done any yet. But I'm signed up with Zook binders. I'll get their software when I have my first order.