In this thread I need insight on bikes I am looking to buy

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by SlickStick, Oct 5, 2004.

1. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Keep in mind this will be my first bike...All the bikes are in perfect shape unless I say otherwise.

2000 Suzuki Katana 600...Asking $4000 w/ a trailer so I'd assume I can lowball to around $3500 without it. It has 16,000 miles. I haven't seen one of these in person but it looks a little goofy in the pictures for some reason, not as sporty.

1997 HONDA CBR600 F3- 6,000 miles. Asking $3500

1999 SUZUKI GSXR750 17,000 miles. $2175

What do you all think about these? The GSXR seems like the best deal, but possibly TOO cheap for a bike with new tires, batteries, paint as it says. Anybody in the area that would mind taking a look at a bike or two with me (and riding them- I am in the process of getting my license). I'll buy dinner or something.

:o

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  2. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

I'm gonna throw out all of the usual flaming and hating.

Get the F3. It's probably the best bike in that group for you. Especially considering this is your first bike.

The Katana is alright for a beginner but between a Kan-O-Tuna and a F3, I'd choose the F3 everytime.

The Gixxer is probably beat and is NOT a good bike for a newb.

3. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Yea the GSXR is already sold, I think it was stolen anyways :mamoru: I'm probably going to go check out the F3, how does that price sound for one with 6k miles? Is there a site to lookup bluebooks like edmunds.com for cars. Google has given me no luck.

4. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Bike values from guides are a pain in the ass and not very accurate. Your best bet is to check out CycleTrader or your local paper for what the going rate for whatever you are looking for.

The cost of the F3 isn't too bad especially considering the mileage. Any other information on it? Mods? Has it been down? Clean title? Shit like that is what you need to ask. If you could get closer to 3k, that would be a good price.

5. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Ahhh I do see it now. :cool:

The only info I have right now is what is on the ad. It says it's in good shape so that's what I'm assuming. I found somebody to ride it for me so I will be checking it out this week if it isn't sold already... As for mods are there any mods in particular that if somebody has done it may be a good idea to steer away from?

6. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

bikes with mods should alert you to a couple things. the first thing is if somebody was modding a bike, chances are they didnt ride the bike very slowly. the second thing is if you are gonna buy a modded bike (which i wouldnt recommend with no experience) make sure it has been modded correctly. make sure the seller has recipts for everything. make sure seller changed jets with exhaust, intake etc. basically dont buy a bike off someone who has no idea what they are talking about or doing

7. GoodKnight

GoodKnight New Member

F3 fo shizzle.

8. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

:rofl: Well the F3 is starting to sound like a consensus. That red one is already sold but there is a similiar bike in Daytona. This is the second bike in two days I've seen an ad, called, and it's gone. Selling like hot cakes around here :eek3:

9. Metalifann

Metalifann The Minivan Can Nevar Lose! OT Supporter

That katana is waaaayy overpriced esp with that many miles.

10. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Agreed, I'm not really feeling the Katana's looks either :hs: I am going to go check an F3 and this ZX-7 tomorrow in Daytona.

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/6/4/75931864.htm

Anybody got comments on the Kawasaki?

11. Metalifann

Metalifann The Minivan Can Nevar Lose! OT Supporter

ZX-7 is a lot of bike.

12. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

yea I definitely take comments to heart but I am taking the MSF first and I've already ridden a few birt bikes...If I can get it for the same price it's harder to resist a good deal. Is it a good bike though is what I am trying to ask.