GUN In this thread, discuss the pepper spray/folding knife combo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Peak_Oil, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

The first time I heard of it was about a year ago. I used to carry a derringer because I could make it disappear, but it seems easier to make a keychain can of pepper spray and a folder look very natural and unobtrusive.

The idea is to use the pepper spray first and then open the knife. If you still need to do something, your attacker is partially disabled.

The last confrontation I was in was a bar fight. Some drunk asshole took a swing at my friend out of nowhere, and about ten of his friends stood up to take his side. A can of pepper spray would have partially disabled all ten, without killing anybody, and without a loud bang. As it was, we all went to it with fists for a minute. Nobody really wanted to fight so it wasn't that bad and it was over quickly. But having a can of pepper spray would have made that fight very one-sided in a hurry.

I would have used the pepper spray, I didn't use the derringer.

The pepper spray can has 25 "applications" to my derringer's 2 applications.

I think the silence plus the lack of deadly force plus the backup of a decent folding knife is a pretty good combo, maybe better than a gun.

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Legality of throwing punches or stabbing someone while disabled with pepper spray is not something I'd like to test myself.

In a ten on ten fight, pulling a gun wouldn't be my option (my option would be to not get in that situation in the first place). In a ten on one fight, my gun would be drawn and it is not going to be a derringer, that's for damn sure.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I think the point of pepper spray is so you have a chance to get away without using force.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Oh drunks, you're so fun.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

yes, pepper spray might be better than a gun if you plan on getting into bar fights :rolleyes:

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

You're going to love the litigation that rapes you in the ass if you open up with a can of pepper spray in a bar full of people.

7. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Yes, but the video would be hilarious on Youtube

8. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

pepper spray in a bar isn't going to be one sided. you'll be rubbing your eyes while blindly trying to find the door with everyone else.

9. smartypants

smartypants New Member

One guarantee with OC in close quarters.
    You will definitely crosscontaminate yourself.

10. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

Like pissin in the wind