In the market for Apple laptop....MBA v MB v MBP questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Mar 23, 2010.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

In the market for my 1st Apple laptop.....need a little help.

Was looking at the MBA at first but looking at the weight/dimensions vs a macbook there's really not much difference. I'm thinkin it might just be more of a novelty? Would like to heae an unbiased opinion from someone that owns both....anyone? Battery life is one of my top priorities so it's not looking good for the MBA.

That leads me to my next question....wtf is the difference between the MB and MBP?? Comparing the base 13" model of both, unless I'm missing something, the specs look identical. $200 more for the aluminum body? :dunno:

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

MBA is for a travel person that does spread sheets and presentations... it lacks the horse power needed for anything intensive, but it's so light and thin it's good for travel... thing business guy that travels

MB - good starter laptop, enough features for most people, not for power users...

MBP - if you're comparing the 13 incher to the MB, the differences are basically aluminum body, firewire 800, back lit keys, sd card slot... the higher you go up that food chain, the better processor, screen size, etc gets...

3. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

It sounds like your sweet spot is going to be a 13" MBP. I will definitely tell you to hold off for just a bit if you can since it seems as though we're likely to see an upgrade to Intel's latest chips soon. That's the talk around the Internets at least.

The current MB is definitely a solid choice but it lacks a few things that might be important to "professionals".

It maxes out at 4 gigs of ram.
    It lacks a backlit keyboard.
    The LCD is not quite up to par with that of the MBPs.
    It has no Firewire connection (faster data transfer and the only way to go if you will ever need to transfer tape-based video from a camera)
    It lacks an SD card reader, which its bigger brothers all have.

I have a 4 year old MB and a late-2008 15" MBP. While the speed and raw power of the MBP is nice, I favor the size of the MBP. I just simply got a great deal on the MBP so I took it. If I were in the market then I would go for a 13" MBP but that's me. Also keep in mind that you can typically upgrade hard drive and ram for less money than what Apple will charge you for upgrades.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fixed.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The difference between the MBP and MB used to be significant enough to justify the price difference. However, the MB has caught up in features & styling that it is hard to justify it anymore.

But there are still features I must have that I don't want to give up and one of those is a removable battery. That alone would make me jump to the MBP.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

none of the macbook(pro) batteries are removable...
    they are all that 7+ hour integrated one...

7. Noel

Noel New Member

Don't get the plastic macbook. Yeah, the upgrade to a Pro is really hard to justify on paper...but fuck, those aluminum cases are just spectacular in every way.

I have a black macbook but after using my friends Pro, it feels like a piece of shit :(

8. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

What?

:kicks rocks:

9. Jacen2141

Jacen2141 New Member

How is this fixed? Both computers have LCD panels. LED simply refers to the technology used in the backlight.

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

aluminum body ftw. it's built like a rock

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Can't wait to upgrade to a 13"MBP, maybe even 15". Also the speakers on a MBP are so much louder than a regular MB. But the build quality is definitely worth the higher price.

+1 for buying refurbished.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

One thing that threw me off about the 15MBP is the speaker placement. Basically, the tweeter is on the right and the woofer is on the left. I have fairly acute hearing so I noticed it right away. It's very noticeable when listening to cold voice. It sounds like it's panned hard right.