In the market for a Laptop: Considering Asus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Atenza6i, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

Whats up guys.

Its my first post in here, although i've read through any and all laptop threads in the first 8 pages. I'm getting a laptop for college and after brief research and talking with a few friends, I thought I was set on the Dell Inspiron 700m, upgraded to 2ghz, with 60gigs.

However, after reading all these threads, it seems like all this negative talk about Dell's isn't just coming from the few of my friends that said dell is worthless. JollyOgre, you really seem like you know what you are talking about, unlike some of my friends who just said "dell sucks and toshiba sucks".

I'm not a computer whiz or anything. Heck, my 1.6ghz dell dimension 4300 with 20gb and 256mb has lasted me these past few years without too many complaints, and i've even been sharing it with my 16 year old sister and 12 year old brother. however, i'm moving on and i'd like to get a faster and nicer system to use through at least the next few years.

i won't be gaming or anything. just internet surfing, school work, and etc. i'd like a portable laptop, not a desktop replacement. durability and reliability is really important to me.

One of the main reasons why the 700m was appealing was because of the specs that seemed to be around what i was looking for, and the $750 coupons that are floating around these days. even if it wasn't the best laptop out there, the fact that there are good deals is very appealing, as i will be buying this laptop myself...and money doesn't come easy at this point in my life. my friend also received his 700m and i really like the look of it, size, the widescreen, and the weight of it.

Jollyogre, I don't know if you're reading this or not, but I guess i'm asking for your help. Does Asus offer a laptop fit for my needs, and how is the pricing for them compared to dell and their $750 coupon? Would you be able to get me a pretty good deal if I requested an Asus laptop? I'm not very educated in computer systems and laptops, so i'm kinda leaving myself vulnerable to ya. haha.

thanks in advance for any and all comments and suggestions guys. i'll see some of you on the f&n forums.

2. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Jolly would tell you to build it with barebone parts. Meaning that you would have to install the CPU, memory, hard drive, and wireless card, not to mention buy an operating system. In the end, it will cost more than the Dell, if you want Asus.

Acer is within your range and is getting better since they have bought Texas Instrument's notebook division. When I compared the prices of Acer to Dell... an Acer notebook was $958, where an equal Dell notebook would have been $1200.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Acer is worse than Dell :ugh: I wish death upon MrMan for saying to go with it.

Asus DOES make the perfect notebook for you -- the M3N. However, you're looking at about $1500 for what you want (fully assembled, with 3 year full-warranty) A comprable Dell 700m $1,374 AFTER rebates. The Asus is VERY worth the extra money.

I have offered some barebones system to a few people on OT who have requested them. However, I also do fully-built ready-to-use notebooks w/warrantys. If you are interested, you can PM me or AIM me.

4. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

how much would a barebones m3np or m2ne cost? is it possible to get just a processor and nothing else?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you want the barebones, I can do that for like $810.

By "just a processor" do you mean the actual processor? Or a notebook w/o processor, harddrive, ram, etc. If so, yes to both. The notebook w/o processor/hdd/ram/wireless is $810. All the other parts are added cost.

6. stoliohranj

i meant, how much would it cost to add a pentium m 1.5 to that barebones price?

7. MrMan

MrMan New Member

I assume that's based on your own experience. One person's experience does not speak out for the whole. Again, you'll have people with good experiences and bad ones. If you're basing it on problems brought to your shop, you automatically blame quality. You claim you really never had many Asus returns, therefore.. they are the best. But since Dell, Gateways, etc... come to your shop more often, that means their quality sucks. No, it cannot be that the ratio to Dell and Gateway owners to Asus owners in your area is 100:1. Therefore if there are 1000 Dell owners in your area and 10 Asus owners, and 100 people go to your shop to fix their Dell, and 1 Asus owner goes to your shop. Wow... look, 100 Dells, 1 Asus problem... Asus rocks!, when in reality they are in the same percentage at 10% with problems.

Computer newbies also buy Dell because of their aggressive marketing and prices. How many people new to computers would jump to Asus... not many compared to those that get Dell. Therefore what you end up with is more experienced users using Asus and mixed group using Dell. As we know, many problems are caused due to user error. This would add to your higher Dell problems.

This is the same as when people say Apple is better than Microsoft, it has less viruses, less hacks, less spyware. Is it really better, or is Apple just not being targeted by elite hacking graphic designers.

Therefore, if we are going to base this argument on your experience, again your experience does not represent the whole world. Based on statistics... better take a closer look at those statistics before you jump to quality issues.

8. NPH

NPH Guest

Why not base your decision on past experience instead of taking someone else's opinions? Everybody has had different experiences with each individual vender.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Just the cpu... no hdd or memory or software?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you fucking piss me off because I SAY THAT EVERY FUCKING DAY. You say acer isn't crap (when it is) and all you have is ONE experience with them. I have worked on HUNDREDS of acers. THOUSANDS of dells. Get the idea?

No fucking shit. But Asus has a HELL OF A LOT MORE GOOD EXPERIENCES than any other manufacturer.

I've serviced thousands of dells. I've sold thousands of asus notebooks. In thousands of notebooks only 1 came back defective. That's pretty damn fucking good. Can dell say that? No.

User error does NOT explain shotty build quality, poor system performance, and overall crappy fit and finish.

Last time I checked, there were no viruses that only targeted a Dell PC and wouldn't affect an Asus, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you're talking out of your ass.

I never said what you claim I said. Show me where I did. I SIMPLY FUCKING SAID THAT I HAVE HAD ***ONE*** ASUS NOTEBOOK GO BAD..... OUT OF THOUSANDS. Dell can't touch that. Not even close.

11. stoliohranj

i'll pm you about that.

12. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

thanks for recommendation. to be honest, i don't mind spending a bit more for better quality and reliability. i'm going to have some important stuff on this laptop so i can't have it fail and have files that are unaccessible or anything like that.

expect an IM soon. thanks again.

13. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Oh wow, you're pissed off when I say that it is based on your experience..., mind you wishing death on me. You're pretty sensitive. I get the idea that you worked with a lot of other manfucturers... do you? So you sold 1000 Asus notebooks, there are probably 10,000+ other manufacturers in your area. Again the ratio to Dell:Asus is probably 100:1. Of course you're most likely going to end up servicing those other manufacturers. What part of that don't you understand.

I am sure many of your Dell and other manufacturer problems are spyware and viruses. That causes poor system performance. That is user error.

Note that I said "This is the same as when people say Apple is better than Microsoft, it has less viruses, less hacks, less spyware. Is it really better, or is Apple just not being targeted by elite hacking graphic designers." It was a comparison, saying that Apple (less owners) is better than Microsoft (more owners) because of viruses, hacks, and spyware. Again, a COMPARISON. Similar to Asus (less owners) to Dell (more owners), and claiming that Asus is better than Dell because there are less problems. Again, the less problems are most likely due to less owners. Therefore, I'd say you're reading with your ass.

All I'm saying is that when other people make a suggestion, if it doesn't agree to yours, you will come back with a remark based on the experience or statistics of your shop. I'm starting to believe that you only recommend ASUS only because you are probably a reseller of their products and not other manufacturers. It doesn't make any sense, at least not in the business sense, for somebody who owns a computer store to recommend one product only because they are GREAT and have less problems. Especially since less problems = less repairs = less money for your business. Therefore it seems like your way is to suggest ASUS = sell your ASUS products = make money. That's why in many threads, you suggest ASUS and offer to sell it to them. You don't suggest any other manufacturer since you won't make money off it. I don't think this has anything to do with quality issues, and more of your marketing.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a couple times a week I will recommend Dell to a customer. I flat-out tell EVERYONE that asus notebooks are better. Faster, more reliable, better quality, etc. Everyone hears this from me. But there are always the people that bitch and moan about having never heard of them... or more commonly, that they're too expensive. So I tell them go to dell. You'll get a decent machine for a little less money. You will have problems. You will hate your purchase decision, but you will get what you originally thought you wanted. Most come back and appologize and admit they should have gone with asus. Some don't -- prolly too proud to do so.

As for the spyware making dell "seem" to perform worse, I offer two problems with taht. First of all, you can do a fresh-format and performance is still lame. Furthermore, look at how the notebooks are delivered to the customer... The dell is riddled with bloat right from the start. 99% of customers arn't going to reformat a new machine.

15. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

thanks for bringing that to my attention. i hate how my dell came with all this software that i didnt even need and what not. i'd rather install my own software.

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

In Jolly's defense (god, I can't believe I'm doing this) Dell quality is below that of other major brands. I have a Dell Inspiron. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the box. It's a beast of a laptop. But the case plastic is thin, the seams don't fit tight, and I've had to have 2 major repairs in the 3 years I've owned it (MB replaced and LCD replaced). Lucky for me I bought the 4 year onsite complete care w/accidental damage coverage warranty so I just make a call and a tech monkey comes the next day and fixes it free.

I have a customer issued Compaq laptop at work and it is much better built. Dell servers are the same. Thinner case metal, bad fit, just flimsy. They work just fine, but to keep costs down you can tell they cut corners on the engineering.

17. NPH

NPH Guest

Fuck it, Alienware that shit! :eek:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

have you ever SEEN or USED an alienware notebook? It's a re-badged sagar, and I've never been so disappointed in my life. They try to fool you with a paint-job... But it doesn't work.

19. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No. You can get much better for the price you pay for an Alienware.

20. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

btw, how do you pronounce asus?

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

A.Zues

or

A.Seus

22. Atenza6i

Atenza6i New Member

sounds like the hispanic pronunciation of Jesus. "Hay seus"