In the Marine Corps and we have guys...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by StuDLei, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StuDLei

StuDLei Death before Dishonor

fallling out of runs. Yesterday we ran them three times in a course over 24 hours for about 2-3 miles at a time. Is this good or bad?? Overtraining... came to f and n to ask the professionals...

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Do you run for 3 miles in combat?

3. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I was under the impression that the Marines have strict guidelines about these things?

4. StuDLei

We do. We are a reservist unit (infantry) that has been called to active duty. So basicall now we are functioning as Active unit. We have 4 months of training before we hit the deck in Iraq. Anyways my question was is it beneficial to run 3 times in 24 hours? Or would that be considered overtraining. I have a couple guys in my squad that need work on their running endurance. We ran two nights ago the next morning that night and this morning. Not sure if Im helping or hindering them by running so much.

5. Carnivale

Carnivale Guest

overtraining unless youre giving them adequate rest and food

which by what i know about the marines is not the case so stick to twice a day at max

6. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

that's 6-9 miles throughout the day.. doesn't seem too terrible to me.

edit: what's the pace and how much weight are they carrying?

7. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

I would think that 3x would be too much. 2x would suffice.

8. StuDLei

No weight is being carried. Its hard for me to accurately paint a picture of what exactly is going on here. Lets say you took an average civilian that never runs and all of a sudden you start running him at least once or twice a day. Would this be overtraining?
    I myself have been in the corps for 6 years as a reservist. I go through spurts where I PT all the time to never. Ive been through one deployment and am being forced to extend my contract (not gonna get into details) 1 year to go again. So the last few months instead of running and lifting and trying to get into shape I ate out and partied. I didnt know if it was the last chance I might get in this world

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

suck it up and do whatever they say, you joined the marines dude. they need a bunch of guys that can bust ass all day and kill anything they come across

10. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

if you can't do 3x a day of 2-3 mile runs you need to end yourself

11. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

they better feed you 5,000 calories or so a day because you're gonna burn muscle

12. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i don't think you need that much. a mile is only like what, ~150 calories burned? running 7-9 miles is nothing, not that i'd have the dicipline to do that, but i know some people, who aren't that athletic, who jog for an hour and half, which is almost 7-9 miles.

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

something tells me you arent going to find the word "overtraining" in the marine handbook

14. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

9 miles a day isnt alot, especially considering you are breaking it up into 3 short runs. Who cares if they burn up muscle, an M16 doesnt weigh very much. Falling out of runs is just a lack of heart plain and simple. You need better leadership if your marines are falling out on short 3 mile runs. The idea that it's ok to fall out shouldnt even be an option in their minds.

15. StuDLei

I love how its as if some of you dont read posts. I personally havent fallen out of a run or a hump or anything else for that matter in my entire Marine Corps career. All I wanted to know was if this was overtraining for NOOBS. Don't need anyone to tell me about leadership and all that bullshit

16. StuDLei

speaking to primarily you. Read my fucking posts.

17. igo4bmx

igo4bmx WHAT WHAT WHAT THE FU OT Supporter

it's not overtraining, if they've never done it before (no basis of training). Of course NOOBS would be dying doing this three times a day but they'll get used to it pretty fast.

18. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Man I can barely run one mile without stopping and then I'm dead afterward.

And I'm really skinny to begin with.

19. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

i did fuckstick. youre crying about the marines overtraining you like its a bodybuilding camp

20. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

I'm sure they've already had doctors and 200 years of experience to design their PT so. :dunno:

21. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

You read it but you obviously did not grasp 100% of it. You seemed to be reading it with the mindset of "this guy is a whining little bitch" so you glossed over the information presented.

22. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I'd say it is overtraining if you just started a bunch of out of shape people on 6-9 miles per day.

23. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

Yes that is overtraining for people who don't run, no question. If you had a goal of getting from no base to being able to run 10km within 3 months you wouldn't start by running twice a day. However being that it is marines I don't think they'll actually care.

edit: It's also more the running multiple times in a short period rather than the actual length of the run.

24. The Method

The Method Lurker In Progress

Former Master Fitness Trainer here, i'll share just a little something:

When you say "over training" you're posing the wrong question.

You have to ask yourself if you're going to injure these pogues while training them. If you give them shin splits for example, they won't be able to improve their cardio fitness.

IMO running them once a day is enough - just do it at a slower pace for an hour and half - run them 6 six miles at a time and be done with the running for the day. That doesn't mean you still can't beat them into submission in other ways throughout the day, you just have to be more creative.

Don't just do long runs either - I'd suggest a sprint interval program as well as fireman and sled carry drills - especially if you're heading out soon. Have them wear their kits (no ammo of course) and do body drags, it'll build cardio, and give them a sense of urgency while doing it. If someone isn't pushing as hard as they can while dragging their buddy then get into their face and ask them if it's a joke to them - being able to get the guy next to you out of fire and to safety.

The reason I bring this up is simple: falling out of slow runs is 100% mental. Their bodies will do far more than their minds are willing to let them. So create training programs and an environment that fosters an air of urgency and importance and your guys will push harder and improve faster.

Hope that helps

25. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

25mins of jogging 3x a day isn't that bad if you're conditioned for it...fuck man, you may die over in iraq...they're just preparing for you to outpace the enemy if you have to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.