A&P In response to TheMolsen's thread vs Rant

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by isaac86hatch, Feb 21, 2009.

1. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I dunno man. I think you're simply asking something that can't really be answered. It's like asking us you list our inspiration. Hard to explain.

To me, this is what separates a good photographer from a bad one: the ability to come upon a scene and instantly see a bunch of shots by just seeing the people, the light, the fore/back ground and having a clear understanding of what you want the end project to be. The latter, I think few people actually consider.

I guess this is why I get frustrated and jaded about photography. It's not hard. In fact, it's easy as fuck to make decent images when you can afford to buy everything, shoot digital, copy someone else's style, depend on thousands of lightroom presets and then post it at 1/6th the size on the web.

People do this and then think they've succeeded and start thinking they should become freelancers, photojournalists or wedding photogs because they read someone's how-to blog and have EXIF Viewer installed so they know it all.

Here's the truth and you can hate me all you want.

Model stuff may pay you a small pocketful, but outside the advertising, modeling, headshot business, it's boring as fuck. Cool, a girl who's just standing there in front of some speed lights posing like every other girl on the flickr strobist stream.

Sports is one of the easiest things to shoot if you have even a teaspoon of skills. Congrats, you can stand in one of the three designated spots with a few cameras that record 10fps, point it as some something exciting and get a good pic. Neat. However, can you make an original image or something interesting off the field? Very few can. Most seasoned sports photographers have shot hundreds of thousands of digital frames yet usually have less than 10 that are great.

Weddings? They are brutally hard work because of the time constraints and people with which you deal. The subject itself is easy. I mean c'mon, How can you NOT get good photos of a group of people who are dressed to impressed and a woman who is dressed to look more beautiful than she ever has or will. Not to mention they are generally at gorgeous locations. But are you making anything different or simply reading down your little checklist and giving up your artistic instinct to make the images the bride wants.

I hate being "one of those guys," but I feel like photography has completely lost it's originality and soul from those who claim to be photographers.

I don't claim to be good or even great. Hell, I don't claim to be anything. If people like my stuff, great. If they don't, who cares? I'm not trying to be a pro like everyone else. I'm honest with myself and my work. I shoot for fun, and, to be honest, 99.9 percent of the people here should, too.

It's when you let yourself go and forget all the stored images in your head from those before you that you will truly make images that will be original and creative. Any if no one likes 'em, then your style is boring. Period. But if you like them and you can stand 110 percent by the reasons why you took them in the first place then who cares?

This is why I respect people who actually went to art/photography school. They don't always make images that are more interesting, but you better believe they know why they took it and why every aspect of the photo is a certain way from the lighting to the angle and so on. Their work usually has purpose and genuine intent.

It's also why I love looking at images that regular people make with zero skill, zero equipment and no intent. They are just random shots, but they can sometimes capture a realness that most photographers cannot capture on purpose. Ever.

I don't claim this to be the end-all, be-all. I just want people to see a more real purpose for photos besides making money and vacuuming up gold stars on flickr or forums. Really think before you shoot and ask yourself what you want from your photos. Envision the picture in your head and try your hardest to achieve that. Don't just shoot everything, get lucky a few times and then think you've made it.

Holy shit /rant :hs:

2. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I understand what youre saying, but Ive got to disagree that sports is "one of the easiest things to shoot if you have even a teaspoon of skills". There are very few photographers who actually take good, intriguing, interesting pictures of sports. Ill concede that there are a TON of guys that take images that are in focus and well exposed but, just as in all other fields of photography, there is a LOT more to it than just that. Just ask Hash Browns.

3. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I also think youre generalizing images that are sharp and exposed as "decent".

In my eyes, not many people out there actually take decent pictures. Most of what I see is pretty crappy (my shit included)

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

thanks. i never saw things from your point of view. i never understood why i would want to emulate someone elses style, when its not me, i make my own style. sometimes i seem to do things backward and make a few mistakes along the way.

5. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

i agree with you, bud

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I guess I should have clarified that.

To digress: The point of the post was to simply state that people should just fucking take photos and not try to make it into this over-complicated process of numbers and brands and money and exact key lighting or whatever the fuck.

Some people here genuinely turn out photo that are stunning. Why? Because they either put tons of work into them and/or they shot something that could be quite common but did it in a way that is new.

It's nice to see people who have vision and continuity. People whose photos you can always recognize even if it something you've never seen. Those are people I will critique if they want it because they are actually trying to make images that attain certain goals.

And there are people who claim to be the shit and know every photographer's blog, every spec on every lens, and every antiquated photo term yet the they have no eye for photography because they cannot look past specs, rules and other people's work i.e., the people who say, "tell me what to do on this next photo shoot."

Or worse yet, people who say, "I have been blocked lately and don't know what to shoot." If you have a genuine desire to photograph, you'll always have things you want to shoot or try when you have time. Simply being blocked, to me, means "I don't know what I can make look cool for teh internets."

And these last two are people whose work I will not critique. Because they went out and shot 500 frames of some random landscapes with no real intention other than making a good shot to post on here. Those are the kinds of shots you should be making for yourself to share with family and friends and to remember that day when you're too old to get out and shoot.

In essence, I think some people need to realize that this will always be a hobby for them and they should just enjoy it and let their eye direct them, not someone on a forum or someone else's work. They should take photos for the sake of remembering something they want to remember which is what it should be all about.

/North Shore speech from Chandler to Rick Kane about soul.

7. themolsen

themolsen New Member

all i was asking for were ideas for how to pose 2 people :hsugh:

if you didn't want to help, that's fine. but I could have done without the sarcastic/smart-ass reply in the thread.

oh well... no biggie because I got awesome shots without OTAP's help. so :fawk:. I just envisioned what I wanted to do and made it happen. It takes a certain amount of skill and experience to be able to create what you have in your head. an inexperienced amateur just snapping shots can't do this....even if what they shoot is more "real"

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  8. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

OTAP serious bidness :hsugh:

9. themolsen

themolsen New Member

ver serius

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

i can't believe I just read all of that shit.

11. itchypony

itchypony New Member

Oh, I love that movie.

12. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

more patience than me:o