In need of a new CPU, Mobo, GPU

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by PenguinWithLime, Jun 27, 2006.

1. PenguinWithLime

PenguinWithLime New Member

Okay, here's the deal I am on a pretty tight budget and I want to upgrade my CPU, Mobo, and vid card. I don't want to go too far over $400 for those. I have no preference over AMD or Intel (don't hijack my thread lol). Does anyone have any suggestions...

Also has anyone heard of any problems with this case: http://xoxide.com/logisys-yin-yang-blue.html

-Thanks

2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

what's your current setup?

CPU, Motherboard CPU Socket, Memory (speeds and amount)

3. JaJae

JaJae New Member

why would you want an acrylic case?

4. PenguinWithLime

Ill post my exact current specs in a few hours, I'm not on my computer atm...
    Im in need of a change, and I like the look. This heres my current case: http://www.aerocool.us/p-case/aeroengine2/aeroengine2.htm (The black one)

But, IDK, if I do get a different case it won't be for a while.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Steel cases are best for protecting all the goodies inside. If you're paranoid like me, you can even fabricate air filters for all the vents and drip superglue into all the rivet holes to keep dust out. Acrylic, on the other hand, breaks more easily, builds up static charge instead of dispersing it, and doesn't block EMI. All of those pose a danger to your investment, the first one especially so if you're moving in and out of dorms all the time.

AMD currently has the upper hand in desktop processing, with its Athlon 64 x2's and its Opterons, but Intel has some fun stuff coming down the pipe in the next year or so. If you can wait that long, you should wait. If you're dying from lack of horsepower, you can pick up a decent Athlon 64 compatible motherboard from Asus, along with whatever CPU the 64-bit freaks here recommend, without killing yourself. You'll be hard-pressed to get a good motherboard, a good CPU, and a good video card for less than $400 though. Assuming every other component of your existing computer is usable, compatible, and reasonably up-to-date, you're still looking at about $500 for the three main parts and another $50-$100 for the case.

I leave it to Jolly, Emmet, and JaJae to argue over the specifics, and to Peyomp to recommend a MacBook Pro. :big grin:

6. JaJae

JaJae New Member

lol that made me laugh.

Seriously if you're on a tight budget s939 AMD is probably the way to go if you can reuse your memory.

For the motherboard look to an Asus nforce4 s939 board. From newegg that'll probably run you about $75.

XFX 7600GT should suit ya well
    newegg has one on sale (w/ rebate) for $150

That leaves you with $175 for the processor.
    You could easily pick up an AMD 64 3500+ for about $115

This leaves you with about $60 for whatever to play around with. I'd recommend going a little over budget and getting a deal on newegg right now for Corsair XMS 1GB DDR400 memory. You can pick it up for about $75

We've gone over budget by about $15 here but you end up with:
    Asus s939 motherboard
    AMD 64 3500+
    XFX 7600GT
    Corsair XMS 1GB (1 Dimm)

That's a pretty good gaming system for about $415. If you don't need the memory you can put the leftovers to save up for a nice case or a new harddrive or possibly a DVD burner ($40 nowadays).

7. SporkLover

SporkLover New Member

wait a month. AMD is starting to phase out the 939 processors.... and some processors are being slashed in prices by %50.

Pisses me off... I have an X2 3800.... at the end of july you can get one for $150.... I bought mine not too long ago for $303.

8. JaJae

JaJae New Member

If you're buying now, this is what I recommend..

Motherboard:
    Open Box: ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM -$64

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 2000MHz HT Socket 939 - RETAIL -$110

XFX PV-T73G-UDE3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail - $150

CORSAIR XMS 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory - $76

Grand total comes to $400 even. Damn I'm good. You'll have to pay about $12 in shipping, but no tax since you live in MO.

9. deusexaethera

Dude, you live in Toronto. Grab your passport, take a trip to Niagara Falls, buy your computer stuff on the cheap, and hide under the carpet in the trunk of your car where your spare tire should be. It's an hour's drive.

10. deusexaethera

At least you wouldn't have to pay that pesky tax on anything that could possibly be used for piracy.

US's hypocrisy regarding piracy > Canada's straightforward problem-solving.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Bullshit. straight-forward my ass!

I buy blank DVDs. I do so because I make DATA DISCS for BACKUP of *MY* data. Not movies. But in Canada, I'd still have to pay the tax.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do *NOT* buy an acrylic case. I actually made one out of lexan (yea, it was kinda expensive in retrospect, but a cool weekend project, nonetheless) and although cool to look at, there are numerous concerns. Namely along the lines of GROUNDING, and ELECTROMAGNETIC INTERFERANCE.

The only way to properly address these issues requires a conductive case. I recommend Aluminum or Steel.

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I'd just like to say that in light of the crisis surrounding acrylic cases which you almost blundered into... you should probably just pony up and get a Macbook Pro.

14. deusexaethera

:rofl: You are the MAN, Peyomp. :rofl:

15. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Imagine the people who bought the Intel D950's at 700+ only to see them drop to under $340.

16. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Yeah, but you have been doing that for cd's for quite some time now.

17. JaJae

JaJae New Member

:rofl::rofl: you called it!:)

18. PenguinWithLime

Hey, thanks for all the replies. I've changed my game plan a little bit though... well alot. I'm thinking sell my current rig as-is and go for a brand new LAN computer. I think something along the lines of a Hornet Pro? I think I can swing a decent one for $1200-$1300.

Thoughts? Suggestions? It would be great if I could get some links to the Hornet Pro you would build for $1200.

19. PenguinWithLime

Ok, I think Ill just create another topic for this one right after supper if I'm still without action here :rolleyes:

20. deusexaethera

Check out www.widowpc.com if you're looking for a well-built gaming rig. They custom-build and they provide tech support too.

21. PenguinWithLime

Is Monarch Computers a good place to buy from though, I really do like the Hornet.