In need of a good audio setup for computer... (headphones)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by matt, Sep 24, 2003.

1. matt

matt Active Member

Right now I have a pair of cheap Sennheiser HD 212Pro headphones that I use. I've had them for a while and am getting tired of them. I want a new pair. And I want a pair that I can keep and that will perform. No use really to me in getting a pair that are ok.

The HD600s are pretty much what I've ended up at when I have looked up info on headphones. I also have a friend who's an audiophile and he always had a pair of Sennheisers in the shop when he was doing something with some speakers a while back so the brand has stuck with me. (richard clark if you're into car audio)

I mainly use them on my computer and for extended periods of time. I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 card which I'm not exactly partial to so if I have to change some things or add some to my setup that's fine.

So...If I want a pair in that price range and I want them to perform, then what should I be looking at?

Links and opinions would be great. I'm not really looking to get into audio, but rather better my listening experience. I listen to TV with headphones, listen to music with headphones, and play games with headphones. :hs:

2. 04

04 Guest

You know Richard Clark? :cool:

I know he is a fan of Stax electrostatic headphones, but they are quite expensive. I actually found out about the HD-600's from his messageboard when a bunch of people reccomended them to me.

But yeah, for ~250 dollars or so, the HD-600's are the best you can get IMO. If you want to spend less though, you might want to look at the HD-580's, as they supposedly sound almost identical to the HD-600's and cost less.

One caveat is that you may need an amplifier due to the headphones high nominal impedence if you listen at pretty loud volumes.

If you don't already know about it, you should check out Richard's messageboard on www.carsound.com under forums.

3. matt

matt Active Member

Ok. I've searched there before for headphone stuff. That was some time ago though. I'll do more reading for amplifier info.

Stax...That brand name sounds familiar. Do their products look slightly dated or odd?

Yeah he's a cool guy, but I didn't know he was into audio like he is at first. I know him for is Grand National fascination. :rofl:

4. 04

04 Guest

Actually the brand you are probably thinking of that looks dated is probably Grado, there headphones are good too.

Do you know Richard well? From what I can tell, he is REALLY into audio in general, he was afterall the guy who built the 60 inch subwoofer, and he writes for carsound...

Next time you are at his house, ask to take his amplifier or speaker wire challenge ;)

5. matt

matt Active Member

Ah. All I remember is that they were quite a few grand. :)

I wouldn't say I know him well. I've never been to his house. He's got a shop with his GNs and GN parts that he's usually at. But yeah, I caught on when I got the tour of the place about two years ago and was shown the Speaker Works car and kept seeing lots of audio books around.

I've never been a part of the challenge, but he was setting up for one that I remember about a year ago.

He's a real nice guy though.

6. matt

matt Active Member

I'm having trouble finding good basic info.

Anyone have any links to start from?

7. matt

matt Active Member

How were they without an amp?

I think I'm just going to go ahead and get the HD600s. Amazon has them for $250 as well as some other places from Yahoo (about $260 all said and done), but I'd rather shop with Amazon. Free 5-9 day shipping too. I can wait.

8. 04

04 Guest

Matt, I suggest you take Immortal's deal, thats one hell of a price ;)

And they will work without an amplifier, they just wont get very loud.

9. matt

matt Active Member

Sent PM.

10. matt

matt Active Member

Well I bought a pair of the HD600s from Amazon for $249.99. Free shipping so they'll be here in about a week. We'll see how they are when they get here.

11. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

$60 for HD580 and they weren't snatched up? :sadwavey:

If I didn't already have a pair (or if I had money even through I already have a pair) I'd take em.

You're a generous man.

12. matt

matt Active Member

He backed out.

13. dazmanultra

dazmanultra New Member

AKG-240's are generally regarded as a good set of headphones. Used quite a lot in studios etc.

14. Amnesia

Amnesia New Member