In dash TV install Q

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SlickStick, Aug 30, 2004.

1. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

I'm adding a PS2/Flip out TV to my system and was wondering where I should tap the power. My gut instinct was NOT to tap the power line for my Alpine HU, as that would take away juice for the internal amp. However, I was told that I would not draw power away from the HU since the way it works is that potential power is given to EACH device hooked up, not split between the devices. Just wanted to get some clarification on if this was true, and if I should use the HU's power, or find a better spot for the TV/power invertor.

2. 04

04 Guest

If you use the power wire for 2 devices, you will get an increased voltage drop across the wire, as more current will be drawn. HOWEVER, I doubt it would make a difference, unless the wire you are using right now is already too small. So whoever told you that was wrong, although in reality it probably wont matter.

3. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

I figured there would have to be some sort of drain there with multiple devices. What would you do just tap the same line or find a different source?

4. 04

04 Guest

I would find a different source but thats just me. If it would be difficult to use another (or you had to do a whole new run from the fuse box), I'd just use the headunit wire though.

5. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

Yea I guess I won't be lazy and i'll find a new source, thanks man.