SRS In a quandry....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ShoToonz, Mar 6, 2006.

1. ShoToonz

ShoToonz New Member

So as I type this, I'm sitting in a PTSD ward at the VA hospital for my 30 day inpatient stay. This stay consists of group therapy amongst many other classes to help veterans deal with symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder.

So here's my issue. This is my third visit to the ward. An individual arrived this weekend that I'm not comfortable around and generally have no real use for. I found out from one of the nurses here that he's slated to be in my therapy group. I have a big problem with this. I can't trust the man with personal information that I know I'm going to divulge in this group. I've been offered the opprotunity to leave now and come back at a later date. Here's the problem with that. my social worker has been working his ass off to get me in with another guy whom he says "you two compliment each other perfectly". Also, if I leave now, I probably won't be able to get back in until mid to late summer at the soonest. I'm not sure if I can hold out that long, if you catch my drift.

So I'm stuck. I have no idea what to do. On one hand, I don't think that group therapy with this particular individual is gonna do a damn bit of good for me...in fact, it might actually cause more harm than good. On the other hand, if I leave and don't come back till late summer, there's a good chance that I'm gonna have a nervous breakdown or something. I guess I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't. Any advice?

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

There's a new type of therapy that has been more effective and faster than any other therapy. The good thing is that it works especially well with PTSD and that since it's done so fast (6-8 hours of therapy), it isn't that costy.
    It's called EMDR : Eye-movement desensitization and reprocessing.
    Some info here, and you can find specially trained therapists there too : http://www.emdr.com/
    This might not solve your problem completly though, but it has for many people :
    These results are incredible for any therapy, especially for one that's so short !

3. ShoToonz

ShoToonz New Member

Okay, but how does that solve the current issue?

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, you can try out the EMDR thing and if you still have a problem, go to the group therapy. You have more chances to see some improvement with EMDR than group therapy anyway !

5. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I take it the person you're talking about is someone you have a past with? Just tell the nurse or whoever it is that can make a change in what people are assigned to what groups. If their goal is to help you, they should be open to moving one of you to a different group.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I can only tell you you shouldn't involve yourself into something that makes you dead unhappy, especially for a theraphy group session it can be indeed more harmfull as you said, of course that's a risk that you get when you take group sessions, you litterary expose your own problems to other people who then come to know what you are dealing with.

The best thing for you would indeed to 'change' the type of theraphy you are receiving, stepping 'out' of the group theraphy, and going for 'private' counselling via your psychiater 'might' be a better solution for you as it would give you individual help that is totally focussed on helping you out,without the meddling of this man that you don't want to be informed of your personal life with.

My take on this, you have a 'choice' to participate into the group theraphy, you dont have to, there's tons of kinds of theraphy, and in diverse clinics, in which you could try to find something simular, or that of your suiting. My advice would be to 'ask' i want to be in 'another group' and specifically NOT with that man. And you could discuss what bothers you.

7. Easygo

Easygo New Member

You said it all right there right off the cuff.

Tell them you object to that person being in your group. If they can't reschedule him, then you reschedule to a different group without that guy.

Don't add more stress to yourself! Take care.

8. ShoToonz

ShoToonz New Member

Eh, the problem solved itself....he got booted out for abusing prescription meds! :Owned: