Improving flexibility

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Marix, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

How would one go about this?

I can't even touch my toes because I have very tight calves and hamstrings. I'd like to be able to touch my toes and do the splits. I don't want to further the sterotype of a muscle-bound oaf who can't reach round to wipe his own arse.

Is there a way to practice this or is it simply a matter of doing it every day?

How long to hold each stretch for?
    How many minutes per day?
    Any specific time that is better? (i.e. after a warm bath or shower)
    Before/after a workout or on a different day completely? I've read various things about whether should should stretch before a workout or not but it seems like nobody has made their minds up.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

3. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

i do the magnificent mobility video on my off-days sometimes.
    I also do static stretching post-workout.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Try this: stand with your heels elevated on something 1-2" high. Bend forward as in trying to touch your toes and perform 10 controlled reps. Then reverse it so that the balls of your feet are elevated and do the same thing. Then see if you are any closer to touching your toes.

5. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Right, I'll give it a go a little later this evening. What do the results tell you?

6. xela

xela So say we all!

It also helps if you bend the kness just a bit to keep your lower back straight. That way you know you're focusing on the hamstrings instead of stretching your lower back, which most people do in order to reach their toes. Better to not go as far, as long as you're stretching properly.

From bent knees, once you're comfortable touching your toes, you can work on straightening the legs...carefully.

7. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

Thanks xela. Is there any optimal time to stretch? Before/after working out? Or should I only stretch relaxed and fully recovered muscles? What about after a shower/bath when they're warmed up?

8. xela

xela So say we all!

It's better to do it when you're warm. You can take a bath/shower and then stretch or you can just build up a sweat either by jumping jacks, running, walking, whatever you like and then beging stretching.

You're definitely at a higher risk of injury stretching with cold muscles. Also, your body is tighter in the morning so you might prefer to stretch in the evening or late afternoon.

9. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

All right, thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.