Impossible to lose fat cells after they have formed?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by daballer2005, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daballer2005

daballer2005 New Member

Cunt at GNC was telling its impossible to lose the fat cell after it has formed. It can only be "shrunk"

true or not true?

2. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

I believe the number of fat cells your body has is set in adolescence which you carry with you for the rest of your life.
    http://www.howstuffworks.com/fat-cell.htm

Not sure how this impacts on your ability to lose/maintain/gain fat though

3. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

Though as I understand it, obese people can increase their fat cell count, though it's not a common thing.

All the better reason to reduce childhood obesity and encourage your children to maintain a healthy weight range

4. macro

macro New Member

not true. fat cell death or apoptosis does occur. Though fat cell depletion is the primary "fat loss". also fat cell number is not set, hyperplasia does occur, especially in obesity. though hypertrophy (increased fat cell size) is more common.

5. macro

macro New Member

J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Jul 13;53(14):5695-701.[​IMG] Links

The apoptotic effect of green tea (-)-epigallocatechin gallate on 3T3-L1 preadipocytes depends on the Cdk2 pathway.

Wu BT, Hung PF, Chen HC, Huang RN, Chang HH, Kao YH.
    Department of Life Science, College of Science, National Central University, Chung-Li City, Taoyuan, Taiwan 32054.
    This study was designed to investigate the effect of green tea catechins, especially (-)-epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), on the apoptosis of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes. Preadipocyte apoptosis as indicated by formation of DNA fragments was induced by EGCG in dose-dependent manners. While EGCG was demonstrated to decrease Cdk2 expression and activity and increase caspase-3 activity, overexpression of Cdk2 and treatment with the caspase-3 inhibitor respectively prevented preadipocytes from induction of DNA fragmentation and caspase-3 activity by doses of 100-400 muM of EGCG. This suggests the Cdk2- and caspase-3-dependent apoptotic effects of EGCG. Moreover, EGCG was more effective than EC, ECG, and EGC in changing the apoptotic signals. Results of this study may relate to the mechanism by which EGCG modulates body weight.

Obes Res. 2005 Jun;13(6):982-90. Links

Green tea polyphenol epigallocatechin gallate inhibits adipogenesis and induces apoptosis in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.

Lin J, Della-Fera MA, Baile CA.
    444 Edgar L. Rhodes Center for Animal and Dairy Science, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602-2771, USA.
    OBJECTIVE: Green tea catechins have been shown to promote loss of body fat and to inhibit growth of many cancer cell types by inducing apoptosis. The objective of this study was to determine whether epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), the primary green tea catechin, could act directly on adipocytes to inhibit adipogenesis and induce apoptosis. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Mouse 3T3-L1 preadipocytes and mature adipocytes were used. To test the effect of EGCG on viability, cells were incubated for 3, 6, 12, or 24 hours with 0, 50, 100, or 200 microM EGCG. Viability was quantitated by MTS assay. To determine the effect of EGCG on apoptosis, adipocytes were incubated for 24 hours with 0 to 200 microM EGCG, then stained with annexin V and propidium iodide and analyzed by laser scanning cytometry. Both preadipocytes and adipocytes were also analyzed for apoptosis by terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick-end labeling assay. To determine the effect of EGCG on adipogenesis, maturing preadipocytes were incubated during the 6-day induction period with 0 to 200 microM EGCG, then stained with Oil-Red-O and analyzed for lipid content. RESULTS: EGCG had no effect on either viability or apoptosis of preconfluent preadipocytes. EGCG also did not affect viability of mature adipocytes; however, EGCG increased apoptosis in mature adipocytes, as demonstrated by both laser scanning cytometry and terminal deoxynucleotidyl transferase dUTP nick-end labeling assays. Furthermore, EGCG dose-dependently inhibited lipid accumulation in maturing preadipocytes. DISCUSSION: These results demonstrate that EGCG can act directly to inhibit differentiation of preadipocytes and to induce apoptosis of mature adipocytes and, thus, could be an important adjunct in the treatment of obesity.

6. whitepearl

whitepearl OT Supporter

i read it somewhere online recently though

they can be expanded or shrunk..but they don;t actually go away

idk how true that is though :dunno:

7. bi0ch3m

bi0ch3m OT Supporter

Thanks for the cliffs...:ugh2:

8. Abomb

Abomb New Member

well arent we a lazy piece of shit :bigthumb:

and by we i clearly mean you

9. slurpster

slurpster FLESHY FLAP VALVE NAVIGATOR OT Supporter

cliffs: drink green tea

10. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Active Member

all i have to say is look at guys like Lee Priest offseason then on.......dont worry about it. diet and stfu.

11. bi0ch3m

bi0ch3m OT Supporter

I read my fair part of scientific articles - So when I come home I'd expect a little help, yeah :hsugh:

12. Abomb

Abomb New Member

laziness will get you far in anything bro :bigthumb:

13. Mr. Badass

Mr. Badass New Member

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

14. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i dropped one walking down the street the other day and for the life of me i could not find it.

i guess you could call it "lost"

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Yeah, but how relevant is it in humans ? I don't think that a significant number of fat cells can die in a real life situation to make a difference although I'm not sure if it has been studied at all in dieted down individuals which kept the weight off for a long time.

16. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

Injectable phosphatidyl choline is supposed to "kill" fat cells.

17. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

If i'm going as far as injecting crap into my body, it better be juice

18. macro

macro New Member

apoptosis is much more common than previously beleived. much of the new drug design with respect to obesity is focusing on this pathway (induction of apoptosis, via various mechanisms.

19. macro

macro New Member

the active is a detergent, it causes lysis (however it is indiscriminate-- it does not only lyse fat cells)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.