Impossible to like both Dawn of the Deads?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Lance1019, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Lance1019

Lance1019 Get ready for a punch in the dick!

Both movies are different. They happen to share 2 things. Their name, and the fact that they are in a mall. Other than that blah blah blah, we've all heard the same stuff over and over before. I'm just trying to figure out why there is a grudge between fans of the two movies.

Both movies are great examples of horror in their respective time periods. '78 was all about susspence and social commentary, '04 was about being intense and fast paced. I think the Old school fans should lighten up and be glad that zombies are making a comeback, and that with out DotD '04, Romero wouldn't have been able to continue making zombie flicks. And New schoolers need to understand that they wouldn't have DotD '04 or 28 Days Later without our their school counterparts. :dunno:

2. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Very different movies actually. The first one I liked for its social commentary, the second one I liked for its very scary beginning. I give both a B+.

3. Lance1019

at least you view both differently. That says something about your opinions integrity.

4. FadedCamo

FadedCamo New Member

Romero sucks man. Ok, yes, he is largely responsible for the zombie flciks we have today, but land of the dead was just bleh.

5. Lance1019

Well Romero's movies were definately cult classics, meaning that they werent all that great but people still like them, much like an acquired taste. And now that I think of it, I dont think I've heard namy '04 fans say anything but "fast zombies are much scarrier". Maybe I should change this to "Why do all the '78 fans talk so much shit about '04?".

6. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

i don't know what to say about this thread

7. Lance1019

Then why say anything?

8. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

They're very different. One is about people, how they react to adversity and interact in claustrophobic settings, and how we are often the mechanism of our own downfall - the zombies are just the setting to tell a story about people. The other is about zombies.

One has low production value but elements of greatness, and the other one is a slick, suspenseful monster movie.

I love them both, for very different reasons.

And...

There would be no zombies movies today if not for Romero. He invented the genre as it exists today. Night of the Living Dead was probably the scariest movie ever made up to its time. And frankly I thought it was the scariest movie I'd ever seen, until I watched it so many times that it became an exercise in appreciating cinematics and I knew it so well that nothing about it scared me anymore.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  9. Joe_Cool

That's easy.
    Most fans of the old movie feel like fans of the new one are a bunch of stupid kids who can't appreciate great filmmaking, and need fancy graphics, a loud soundtrack, and rapid MTV-style cuts for their short attention spans, and who aren't capable of seeing past "dead come to life, eat people :noes:" to absorb the REAL story elements. Oh, and also that fast zombies are a retarded idea, even though Zack Snyder did a good job of pulling it off.

Most fans of the new movie think that movies made in 1990 are old school, and no movie that cost less than $50 million to make can possibly be any good, and that Dawn '78 is a crappy movie because it's not scary and looks low budget.

Then there are people who see both movies for what they are, recognize the genius of the '78 movie even though it's not that watchable, and recognize the 2004 movie as mindless entertainment, which is really fun to watch.

10. Lance1019

Well stated once again. I just get so sick of people pissing and moaning about the fact that they are gonna make a sequel to '04. I thought '04 was brilliant, and a sequel is gonna be just as awesome. '78 is just a great movie about peoples lives and how they are trying to live normally in a fucked time. A comic book I just finished reading called "The Walking Dead" reminds me of the feel of '78. Moral of the story is: Zombies rule and there should not be a grudge between fans of the same genre.

11. Joe_Cool

If you like reading zombie stories, check out "Home Delivery" by Stephen King. It's a short story in Nightmares and Dreamscapes, and also in a zombie anthology called The Book of the Dead: A tribute to George A. Romero. Both are good books to check out, for obvious reasons.

12. Lance1019

:bigthumb: