A&P Importing into Lightroom...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by verbal, Mar 5, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Since I'm going to shoot only in RAW, I think I'm going to start using Lightroom. I'm still going to keep using iPhoto too mainly so my girlfriend can have access to my photos without my help.

What are the basics of importing into Lightroom? Can someone explain to me proper importing techniques?

1. Lightroom doesn't use a database, it just copies files to a location you specify?

2. Keywords seem different in Lightroom compared to iPhoto. Any tutorials on this?

3. Any sites with video tutorials to get me started on all the basics of Lightroom?

2. aCab

aCab New Member

If you want to be really really organized, get Aperture. If you want to process your pictures, get Lightroom. :dunno:

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

4. mojito

mojito New Member

it is a database, try moving files from not in LR and see what happens :)
    you can either COPY or MOVE the photos to a specified location, import at current location (if they're already organized on a external HD or whatever, lots of options, just keep it consistent. LR manages 55k+ photos in my library and has no problem with it when you stay consistent.

meh, keywording is so personal its hard to teach. But they can be laced in a hierarchical way, like travel -> socal -> santa barbara -> zoo or whatever

luminous landscapes has a long boring one but covers a lot. Lots of free web pages on it and lots of scott kelby books

5. mojito

mojito New Member

:hsugh:

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

LR is pretty powerful if you want to be really organized, I havent bothered with keywords and ratings my pics yet I should probably get on that :hs: Stick your memory card in and lightroom imports the raw files to a location of your choice mine come in by date 2008-03-05 etc

7. mojito

mojito New Member

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Not really. I found that I prefer copying all my pictures into a "pictures" folder, and then importing them into lightroom in their current location. Therefore they are organized.

Using aperture basically throws them all in some complicated library and fucks everything up.

9. aCab

aCab New Member

Ok, if you want to keep albums and things together form different imports, its easier to do in Aperture. I don't care about that stuff though. :mamoru:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

not even close, try lightroom before saying more shit like this

11. aCab

aCab New Member

I use lightroom - mostly due to your sticky:dunno: I was just saying that in typical Apple Style, the drag and drop ease is there in Aperture. I use lightroom because it keeps track of my stuff right on my external - and when I change a folder name in lighroom, it does it in my hard drive too. - Oh, not to mention presets and better processing capability.

12. mojito

mojito New Member

LR is drag and drop too ;)

I import into one folder, then drag them to the correct category folder, faster than finding it at import

13. aCab

aCab New Member

Do you have anything about that in the sticky? Linky. Not that I really keep track of photos by anything other than when I import them, but it'd be good to know.

**Edit** - I've got the Lightroom Users guide PDF - maybe I should read it. :mamoru:

14. mojito

mojito New Member

nope, thought it was self explanitory, guess not :o

if your in the library, in the folders section, which represents the folders on disk, just drag them around.

15. verbal

verbal Active Member

What confuses me is the "file handling" pull down when importing. Is that just for putting the files where you want them? Does LR look for the files there next time it loads or does it automatically copy them to it's own database?

16. aCab

aCab New Member

But i want to keep my photos in their original folders, just create an album (without creating new or copying pictures) that exists only in lightroom - something with only my favorites in it or something.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

that depends on what you want. If you have them where you want them on a hard drive already, select import at current location. It will see them at that spot unless you move it. if you want to move them, select either MOVE or COPY to new location, copy leaves the originals alone, move does what it says and moves the originals to the new location

if its on a memory card, you obviously have to copy them somewhere else.

LR itself doesn't have a folder of images, so there aren't 2 copies of everything on disk.

18. mojito

mojito New Member

import at current location

select photos for the album

clink the + next to the word collections

type in album name

drag images into named album

now you have your images together without taking up extra disk space as its just referencing the originals.

19. aCab

aCab New Member

:bowdown: Gracias!

20. mojito

mojito New Member

:bigthumb:

you can put images from any folder into it, doesn't have to be from the same import

21. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm still confused. I understand the copy or move part.

For example, when importing to iPhoto, you can set it to copy the photos to iPhoto's own location or leave them where they are.

What I'm wondering is does Lightroom always look to where those photos are depending on the choice there? Or does it still make it's own folders? Like if I have LR move them to a location and I later delete or move that location, will LR be screwed up because those pics are gone?

22. mojito

mojito New Member

yes, you'd be screwed, sort of. If you just move them, you can have LR locate them. If you delete them, your shit out of luck.

Lightroom only keeps the "previews" not the actual images in its own folder.

Lightroom is a Digtal Asset Management (DAM), you want to use it to control your photos, not do it yourself and play catchup later. It has drag and drop functionality within it for moving/seleting folders, and can by synced to update if you didn't import all the files or moved them etc

But you should get comftorable with the idea that you use LR to do stuff, and get a routine down for organizing

23. verbal

verbal Active Member

That's what I was wondering, thanks.

24. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

verbal - your confusion is the single reason I don't use lightroom.

I hate programs that do shit without asking you, and then get angry when you want to do it yourself.

Bridge/ACR > lightroom for this reason alone.

25. mojito

mojito New Member

you need an organization system ;)

that the whole point behind it, but if you don't take time to learn how to do it, then thats time wasted down the line looking for shit.

I'm not sure what "that do shit without asking you" is, as you control everything it does.

Just open LR and move shit, or move shit then right click sync. not exactly brain surgery

and bridge :weak: