GUN Importing a gun from Canada

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigboostdsm, Sep 6, 2007.

1. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I'm originally from Canada and my family still lives there. When we moved to the US in '86 my dad gave his shotgun to his uncle (My great uncle). Well my dad and mom are in Canada right now and they went over to my Great Uncles farm for dinner this evening and got on the topic of guns. My dad brought up that I've gotten into firearms in the past year or so and that I was interested in having that gun at some point. My uncle still uses it deer hunting every year (He got an 11 point buck with it this year :bowdown:). So I guess that he's leaving that shotgun to me in his will (He's going on 80).

So knowing that Canada's gun laws are all fucked up, I want to know what all is involved bringing the gun back here to the US. It is a 1960's Mossberg 5xx (My dad can't remember), with a 3 shell mag (plugged from 6 since 3 is the limit there), it's just a basic pump action hunting gun.

I remember there being someone here that lived in Canada and brought his firearms back with him. Don't remember who it is, but I could look through the picture thread to find out I guess.

Any help you guys could give me would be great. It'd be such a cool gun to have to hand down to my kids at some point. I obviously want to do this the most legal way possible, so no "just smuggle it in" comments :o

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

The member was PUREVIL, I'm going to PM him a link to this thread.

3. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

Hey man, the basic jist of what I had to do was call up the ATF import branch, fillout a form 6, include a letter that was moving and I wanted to bring my guns with me, and include photos of the guns. Let me find the link for ya to the number you need to call. I dont know if you caught the thread after moving, but all of my guns were approved except my Remington 870 shotgun. All my pistols and rifle (.17hmr) were ok but the 870 was denied, they said it wasn't a sporting rifle since it could hold more than 3 shells or something? Im like but its the same gun that I can buy at any sporting store in America. I still have the gun here and Im going to resubmit as a home protection shotgun instead. The guy does have mods on it now, pistol grip, surefire foreend, but the pictures I submitted were when it was still stock. Anyways stay tuned for the number/link.

EDIT:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/index.htm

Hope that helps, if you have any more questions feel free to ask and Ill do my best to answer them.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  4. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Thanks a lot. This shotgun has a plug in it for 3 shells, so I'm guessing it would be ok?

This stuff is so damn confusing.

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

And form 6 is the one that I will need?

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Also, I am still a Canadian citizen but I have my green card. Will this effect how it works at all? I'll be getting my citizenship next time my residency comes up for renewal, since it's pretty expensive so I can't do it right now.

7. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

So I need a hunting permit to import? Also, that form looks like it's for temporary importation. I'd like to bring it permanently.

8. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I'd call the number with all those questions.... I dont know how your citizenship will effect you. Im a dual citizen (US/Canada). I'd bet your going to have a much tougher time since you aren't a citizen of the US. I dont want to make any assumptions so I'd say call them and report back to us. Sorry I couldn't help much more than that.

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

That's fine. It looks like that form doesn't apply to US citizens or to Permanent residents (Which is what I am). I think I might just end up using an importer and eat the costs, since the gun will be free anyways.