Importing a Canadian car into California, anyone done this?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Flea420, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Really looking for some info here.
    I have searched the web a lot but am still unsure about things, has anyone here ever actually done that?

I'm trying to find out roughly total cost and what the steps are and in what order.

I am looking into this because the car I want is much cheaper in canada and it would be worth importing to me.

But also, does it make things more difficult if say the canadian owner imported the car from japan into canada, and then sells it as a canadian car to someone wanting to register it in the states?

I'm looking to do this with a Celica Alltrac. In all honesty I dont want this because "Ohhh its RHD JDM TYTE YO" or some crap like that. I actually care not wether its LHD or RHD, im just looking for a good deal.

2. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

Car will need EGR and a VIN number that can be put into US systems to say the least. If it is originally a Japanese car I doubt it will have these things.

3. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

Ya thats one thing I was unsure of, if a japanese car had a normal VIN like ours. Do the canadian ones have a regular us style vin at least?

Maybe when say the jdm car is imported into canada they give it a vin, that could then transfer with the car to the states? EGR systems wouldnt be an issue for me, I can either get around that, or actually temp install and working egr system on the car.

4. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

CDM-maple leaf powered :bowdown:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Cars don't need EGR to meet California emissions. EGR has nothing to do with emissions.

6. meervincent

meervincent New Member

are you kidding?

ever heard of nox?

7. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

You wont be able to do it and I guarantee you wont get a `good deal`when its all said and done. Did you not think of calling the government and asking them. You can get it in but the short story will be that it will cost more than its worth.

8. Flea420

Flea420 New Member

EGR is requiered by California state as part of the Visual Inspection

Exhaust gas recirculation, ya, that dosnt sound Emissions related......

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Correction: the visual inspection is to ensure that if your car has EGR, that you haven't removed it because you're a dumbass and you don't know what it's for. (I've actually met dozens of people who think it's some kind of power-reducing mechanism, or makes their engine overheat, or other uninformed bullshit like that.) If your car doesn't have EGR (like mine, and yes it is 50-state legal), then there's no requirement to add it.

I don't care what you think it sounds like, it's still not emissions-related, at least not directly. Yes, if the exhaust is dirty then EGR will give a small portion of the exhaust a chance to be re-burned, but unless you're one of those assholes who's hollowed out his catalyst, then the catalyst will burn off anything and everything toxic in the exhaust. That's what the catalyst is there for.

EGR's primary job is to fill the vacuum in the intake manifold when the throttle is closed with inert gases, so the engine doesn't waste power sucking against a vacuum (called "pumping losses"). It's a great way to improve fuel-efficiency in stop/go driving, and I think it's stupid that not all cars have it (my Passat doesn't, but it gets 30mpg anyway so whatever).

Yes, improving fuel efficiency also reduces emissions, by reducing the amount of fuel burned in the first place, but it's a secondary effect. The primary function of EGR is to reduce pumping losses.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  10. Keegan

Keegan New Member

You're going to be paying taxes on the vehicle to bring it down. We brought down our vehicles from Ottawa to DC and we got raped.

11. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Its going to cost a fortune in shipping and customs fees, unless its dirt cheap I'd say don't do it.