Importing 16:9 into Final Cut Pro

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ubisquo, May 16, 2007.

1. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Heyo, having some probs with some video files. I've recorded them using iStopMotion in 16:9 at home, and when they're saved they look lovely and all widescreeney. Alas, when i import them into FCP on the computers it resizes them to 4:3 and i can't figure out how to have them import properly? I think it would work on the Avid systems, but they seem to screw with the quality BIG STYLE if it's not coming from tape, whereas other than the resize, FCP seems to be fine (maybe because it's all QT based?).

I'd love you long time if you know if there's a bunch of options i need to select, or just a magic box *somewhere* in all these menus. I'd use iMovie but i need to record it to tape, so i'm a bit stuffed. :(

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

try going Final Cut Pro -> A/V settings ->Sequence Preset: NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic.

if this doesn't work, i'm not too sure. you could PM Yardsale. he could definitely tell you.

3. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

final cut pro -> audio/video settings -> sequence presets and capture presets, you want to capture in DV NTSC Anamorphic. If you recorded it on PAL, capture it in DV PAL Anamorphic.

That should do it.

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

5. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

nga beat me to it :h5:

6. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Firstly, Pseudonym, thanks for the initial help. :)

Yardsale, i've tried applying those settings, but now when i import it (this is straight digital footage, no tapes involved) it still applies 4:3 to it. When exported with the settings it does it in a 'weird' 16:9, in that it's really tall but narrow, like, imagine if it was 9:16. I've now tried importing it to iMovie as well, which also applies a 4:3 look to it (despite specifying DV-Anamorphic in the settings).

I'm wondering if i've been filming it incorrectly? The res i've been specifying in iStopMotion is 720*480 @ 24fps, i'd read on Wiki that this was the correct res, and my tutor told me to film at 24fps for the film (well, 12*2 as it's stopmotion). In Quicktime the footage looks great, but any other app and it all goes screwy.

Any ideas? :(

7. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

In FCP

1) make sure your sequence/timeline is set for 16:9 anamorphic
    2) in your assets bin, click on the video that's giving you grief and scroll right till you see the anamorphic column. make sure that there is a little checkbox in that column to make the video anamorphic.

try that...sometimes it helps...

8. Ubisquo

Ubisquo New Member

Wahey! Number 2 solved it, it all seems to be working fine now. Weird that they stick that option so far to the right, i'd never have found it. Thanks a ton mister, you may have saved me a bunch of marks. :cool:

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

yeah, it's wierd that option is so hard to find...TONS of people don't even know it's there...
    glad it worked out for ya