important powerbook question....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ericj, Dec 17, 2004.

1. ericj

ericj raw deal

do they have to sleep when the lid is closed or is there a way around this....basically when i close the lid i just want the screen to go off adn all other programs keep running

2. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

being a former PC user before i purchased my powerbook, i was wondering the same. doesn't seem like there is a feature to do so. you get used to it, i dont mind at all anymore. actually prefer it to go to sleep when i close the lid now..

3. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

When I'm in some program or somthing on my powerbook and just close it when I open it back up I'm right there where I was.

Not exactly sure what problem you are having.

4. ericj

ericj raw deal

well i want to be able to leave itunes running with the lid closed so i can still hear the music

5. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

:ipod: ;)

6. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

Oh, ok. I see what your saying now. I'm pretty sure there is a way to do that. It's probobly some setting in your System Prefs but not sure.

Look through apple support or go to the "genious bar" or whatever at an apple store and ask someone.

7. newsroom_can

newsroom_can Canada eh?

As a potential powerbook buyer, what I am wondering is how much energy they will consumer when they are in a sleepmode.

Anyone?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

from what I'm told, you get about 5 hours running on battery, and around 12 hours in sleep.

9. Lancer409

Lancer409 Member

no way, you get more than 12 hours in sleep. sleep mode uses very little energy. i usually sleep it from place to place. I rarely shut down my computer unless an update forces me to restart. go into energy settings to have the lcd turn off after __ minutes of inactivity. i set mine to 1 minute. it dims then turns off. kinda like a screen saver, a quick hit of a key or move of the mouse and it's back up again.

also, it doesnt have to sleep when lid is closed, i forgot how, but there is a setting where it'll continue to run without incident with lid closed. that being said, a laptop generating heat, with a lid trapping the heat in = probly not a good idea. just a thought.

10. MBC

MBC Guest

If you need to save your batteries while working, u can reduce the brightness. That way u'll save time

11. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford New Member

I've got itunes running right now and my powerbook is closed.

It's running though an external monitor :hs:

12. samm

samm Next in Line

You can run your powerbook with the lid closed by connecting an external keyboard. I have done it numerous times at work with a KVM switch.