Important Career Decision... could you IT people help me make a decision?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by driftwell, Feb 24, 2005.

1. driftwell

driftwell New Member

Info:

Company - Perot Systems
    Location - West LA
    Position - Service Desk Analyst (aka help desk)
    Hourly - $17
    Full benefits

Now here's my dilemma... is a help desk position benficial for me down the line? I don't want to do this for the rest of my life and would like to move up. The thing is... i just don't see how experience in help desk can help me become a network admin, systems analyst, database admin, or engineer of some sort.

My thinking is that a company would hire the guy with experience over the guy who's been with the company.

And the help desk support is for a hospital... everything from computer peripherals, laptops, to software applications.

Lastly... the drive to and from work is about an hour and 45 minutes 1 way (anyone who knows about the 10 freeway knows about this).

Any comments or insights would be greatly appreciated. Should i wait out for another opportunity?

P.S. - i have until friday to decide whether or not to take the job or not

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

I started as a computer operator, but for internal server support, rather than desktop support/help desk. But I did move my way up the ladder to where I am now (unix admin tier III). It depends on the environment, opportunities, personell, and most importantly your motive on moviing on up. You will gain some troubleshooting techniques as a help desk guy, learn to work with people, and may work with admins to help diagnose the issue. Ask how involved you are with administrators. Straight out ask what the promotional path of an help desk employee is. Only towards supervisor or management? Or can you take a more technical path? Don't think of it how related this help desk job is to admins or engineers title. This is a stepping stone or a foot in the door. Nobody starts out on top. Unless you're the boss' son/daughter. heh

The pay is okay for where you are and for what you do especially. Benefits package is nice. That commute is insane though.

What are you doing now? Is it a dead end job?

3. driftwell

driftwell New Member

thanks for the input...

i recently just graduated with a BS in computer info systems... after i graduated.. i quite my job at state farm insurance and went on vacation.... thats why i'm ready to start my career and am just worried i'll take a step in the wrong direction or waste time.

I also question this alot because a few of my friends who graduated with me found better positions at a higher starting pay... but granted they are for small companies and with little or no benefits.

I'm also worried that the HR department for this company is just telling me what i want to hear to get me and not fullfill the promises later down the road.... would you say that something like that is possible for such a large and established company? They make about 2 billion in revenue a year

4. MrMan

MrMan New Member

If anything, it's experience you can put on your resume for a job elsewhere, if you don't see yourself moving up the ranks.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

he'll also develop a healthy hatred of users that will assist his future BOFHness

6. driftwell

driftwell New Member

what do you mean by that?

7. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

I'd take it, Perot is a larger company that would probably have other opportunities elsewhere within the company that you could move to more technical positions.

8. col_panic

who?

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:rofl: :bowdown:

10. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

hahahaha! I love the BOFH!!

11. driftwell

driftwell New Member

okay... if it came down to the job with perot and putting up with a near 2 hour commute versus:

working the IT department as a systems aid position for the LA county Sheriffs dept.... government benefits, 4 10hour days out of the week, and not to mention that i get a sheriffs badge which will get me all the same benefits of being a sheriff gets (professional courtesy, discounts, etc..)

and i'm also considering a field technician for dell.... i get about 25-28 dollars for every repair (ranging from a simple hard drive swap to more involved tasks) i have 6-8 that i have to do in a day... and i'm done for the rest of the day no matter how short the jobs were...

what do you guys think?

12. col_panic

two hour commute? ACKK! i couldn't deal with that. the sheriff job might be good if the pay is decent. if dell can guarantee you 6 jobs at $25 per steady work, you will be making at least $18.75 an hour for usually easy work. also, you will learn a lot about hardware quickly, but you will have to drive around from site to site all day.

how much do you like your car?

13. driftwell

driftwell New Member

ehhh you're right... i totally forgot about my car.... hell no... my car is my baby with a brand new paint job...

what job path should i take if i ultimately want to be a systems/network engineer or developer?

14. __23skidoo

__23skidoo ...has the nuts

The Tech Support position is probably the best place to start. It sucks, yes.

However you should only have to do that for ~1yr before moving up.
    You may have to be a job swapper for awhile, but you should learn alot pretty quickly.

15. col_panic

sheriff's job is starting to sound good. you will probably have a chance to learn a lot about systems - like crontab starting as an operator. in your spare time you can concentrate on network and/or development education and the law enforcement association would be a nice lead in to security, if you like.

16. driftwell

driftwell New Member

well a little update for those who care...

i interviewed for another company today and landed and accepted it...

it's not an IT company... and what it is is that I'd basically be the IT guy at the company (distribution warehouse company)... i'd be doing everything from server maintenance, setting up citrix servers, SQL server, networking, domain controllers, website maintenance, and a plethora of other things...

i'd be getting paid more than the job with the 2 hour commute... and the best part is... this job is only 15 minutes away.

i figured i'd take this job because i'd definately be learning a lot...

i still am thinking about that sheriff's job tho... i'd love to have a cop get behind me (i drive a stereotypical fixed up car) run my plates, find out i work for the department, and move on without even bothering with me.

17. lololol true story!

18. col_panic

being a sysadmin is awesome if it's your own shop. good luck, get an av so we recognize you, and keep us updated. this is going to be interesting

and screw the sheriff's job now - being in control > being the assistant