COMIC Import Anime DVD Question

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Laserbeak, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

I just bought some imported Initial D DVDs online, and the website says that there's options to enable either English or Chinese subtitles. The site says that the discs are "region free" and can be played in any DVD player.

My question is this: When I get the DVDs delivered and I want to play them, will the menus and such show up in Japanese by default, or will the DVD auto-recognize what country the DVD player is from and change its settings to reflect this?

Or am I going to have to fiddle around with a bunch of Kanji-based screens in order to enable the subtitles? :rant2:

2. Doflamingo

Doflamingo Freedom is not enough.

All DVD remotes and DVD applications(like PowerDVD) give you the option to change subtitles when you're watching the movie. You don't have to fiddle with the menu the DVD provides you with.

3. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

:cool:

Do all new DVD players come with that ability too? I only have a DVD player attached to a computer. :dunno:

4. Tikiman

Tikiman The Internet has left me in despair.

I got a set of Initial D dvd's off ebay and the menus were in english. The subtitle options let you set it to either english or chinese but I think the default was english. You should be ok.

5. Doflamingo

Doflamingo Freedom is not enough.

If you have PowerDVD or something like that then right-click, and play with the Subtitles option. I'm sure it's like that with other DVD apps.

6. TerryMathews

TerryMathews Guest

When it comes to bootlegs, and this is what your Initial D DVDs will be, you never know what the menus will be. I've seen English, Japanese, Chinese, and combinations of the three. Most of the time, the menus don't work 100% anyway; the selections you make for subtitle might go away when you chapter advance.

Of course, there are high quality bootlegs out there too.