Impala police car cosmetic issues

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Julius, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Julius

Julius Guest

I just picked up an '03 and, unfortunately, someone removed the spotlight mounted on the driver's side. I don't care about the spotlight, but I do care about the two holes it left in the car - one in the mirror and another on the upper frame of the door. The one on the door is a clear incision to the vehicle's interior.

Does anybody have an estimate as to what a shop would charge to fill these holes in and sand them?

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

mirror wouldn't be that bad just some glass work

door would be trickier.. the hole would have to be welded over and grinded down then smoothed, then of course everything that goes into paint. not hard but laborish, have no idea on price

have you thought about grabbing a door from a junkyard?

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Probably $300-500 depending on exactly what they need to do to make sure it looks perfect. Usually they want to paint the panel to the left and to the right in addition to the area they are painting to blend in the color match better.

4. Julius

Julius Guest

Alright, thanks guys.

I'll take it up to a shop and see what they can do about the hole. It's about 1 inch wide, so hopefully it can be welded, sanded, and whatever else is needed to close it. I can probably find some mirrors at the junkyard. I think I'm going to have the car repainted black instead of it's default white, so that will take care of the issue of blending the hole with the paint.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Probably easier to just buy a new spotlight. Comes in handy at night, too.

6. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

someone has got to make a grommet to plug these holes, if not I should start some kind of business

7. Bugalu

Bugalu OT Supporter

why not install a new spotlight?