Imaging Software that...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ssj4gogita4, Nov 13, 2008.

1. ssj4gogita4

ssj4gogita4 Active Member

Is there any imaging software that takes a 640x480 pic (or any size) and enlarges it but still keeps it in high quality and non-pixelated?

edit: free software

2. HY

HY New Member

gimp, but if its a compressed image its probably at the optimal size

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

You are looking for magic?

Anything that enlarges an image ends up extrapolating (educated guess) the extra pixels from their neighbor pixels.

I am pretty sure the algorithm is fairly standard and shared by any piece of software that does this. If anything would be better at it I would think photoshop, but who knows its just as likely it uses the same common algorithm

oh and :rofl: @ GIMP... jesus...

4. ssj4gogita4

I have several images that are 640x480 and I'd like to have different sizes for each images (640x480, 1024x768, 1280x720, etc.). But when I enlarge some of the images, they get pixelated and very ugly and I don't want this to happen.

5. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

then go find a larger image (1280x720) and compress it to 1024x768 and 640x480

you aren't going to find software that does magic

6. ssj4gogita4

:wtc:

Dang it.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

lol I answered this and you just restated the question...

You realize that would be like asking the computer to make a 3 minute song 4 minutes, with no pausing... it can't just create music or images for you lol.

The way programs do it now is by guessing the missing information. Like, if you take an image and double it both horizontally and vertically, you will have a blank line every other line and a blank row every other row. The software can then take each pixel of those blank spots and "guess" at the color that it should be by looking at the surrounding pixels... and the end result is what you are seeing, imperfection. What else would you have it do, because honestly if you can think of a better way, it would be a billion dollar idea.

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

9. CodeX

CodeX Guest

That will not work at all for any real image (photograph). For drawings (specifically digital drawings) and things like logos it is an ideal solution

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Here is one I did with that service, this image type is ideal, few colors, simple line based drawing, and you can see how it still mangled it, even when selecting the largest color palette.

[​IMG]

11. ssj4gogita4

you kept it the same size which is not what I want to do although you did a great job making it look better

12. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

you didn't use a large enough color palette, nub

13. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It's the largest one they offered /shrug

14. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

it says right in your screenshot that you chose few colors :ugh2:

[​IMG]

of course vectorizing an image is going to have issues with gradients like this, but that's not bad. imo

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

It presented me with a choice of palettes and I picked the one with the most colors... whatever I didnt spend an hour on this lol

Right, its not bad, but only because it was a simple drawing to begin with, the whole point was this tool is useless for 99% of any image someone is going to have