A&P Imageprint

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jared_IRL, May 11, 2007.

1. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I was going to post this in the 'what size print' thread, but didn't wanna steal the OP's thing....

So, do any of you guys use imageprint?

I have come to LOVE it. It's easily the best addition to my workflow since photoshop.

If you don't know what it is, it's a print driver on crack. It has a built in RIP, it contains custom printer profiles, custom paper profiles, etc, all the way down to different drivers depending on what light you're going to be viewing the print in...

Link to PDF explaining imageprint in detail: http://www.colorbytesoftware.com/ImagePrint_FactSheet.pdf

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

2. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

does this run on the printer or on the computer? also, is it OS dependent?

//edit: just saw in tiny little font that it's for mac or pc.

3. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

It runs on the computer, I only have it for Mac, but I believe it can be used for both.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

did you "buy" it or did you buy it?

Looks like it's $1,500 for the printer I want to get :o

5. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Working at an art school with one of the best digital photography programs on the east coast has it's advantages....

But yeah, that's expensive.

Although now that I'm using it, I haven't printed without it. I won't waste my time. It's that good.

6. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

Wow, care to explain a little further what exactly it does?

I guess I could read the site... but where's the fun in that :mamoru2:

For example, does it have any editing capabilities or do you do all your PP in photoshop or lightroom then import into Imageprint strictly to print?

What kind of options does it give that a normal print interface wouldn't?

7. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Ok... I'll give ya a quick overview....

You edit everything in Photoshop or lightroom. Get your print ready to print.

Once you're done, when you would have normally hit 'print' in PS, you load the file into image print.

From there, it gives you TONS of options. You can select from a list of papers to print on, each one with a different custom profile. You can select the light in which you'll display the print, and it adjusts the print for that light.

You size the print to your paper, center it on the paper, and imageprint rips it to the correct size, so you don't lose any detail (i've compared ONLY this feature on PS and imageprint, with no other variables enabled, and it is a HUGE difference... My boss has printed 6mp pics from a 300d 36x40, and they're flawless. It's sick.),

You can also color correct using the printer profile, instead of editing the pixels, so it's non destructive, it allows for full 16 bit screening and printing, so you don't lose data on the conversion (you do in PS.)

One of my favorite things about it is it's built in spooler. You can load as many prints as you want, edit them individually, then load them into the spooler and tell it to go and walk away. I've set it do to 10-15 completely different prints before I left work for the night, and they're all there, perfect, when I get in the next morning...

Oh, and a friend of mine in Graphic design loves it for something called 'print through application'. It prints through acrobat, ripping and rasterizing the work through the presets and configurations of your PDF, so you don't lose the layout when trying to print it. Apparently she had a big problem with this before....

Thats all I can think of right now. and yes, I did use the pdf as a cheatsheet.

8. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

wow, that's awesome :coold:

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Turkey, that is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. Its a RIP program, so you dont need to use another to interpolate the photo up to size. It has all the variables built in and knows how to resize and set the image up for printing based on the printer, the paper and all the other variables in printing.

That way its perfectly matched to the exact output.

Yeah, RIPs are expensive, but for anyone doing serious printing its worth it. I know several pros that use this on their home printers simply because they want the best output and their work depends on it.

Thank you for mentioning it Jared, I forgot the name of this, its probably the most common used RIP by normal folks. There are others out there but this is the most common.

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:cool: i think i'll have to invest in this for indeprinted.com :eek3: